Pentair Maxetherm 400 Trouble/Dead

rob.mwpropane

In The Industry
Jun 9, 2015
Baldwin, Maryland
Long story short, I was on a job and removed a 2013 heater. A mouse had made a nest in the electrical panel and chewed through some wires. I fixed it up, went to turn it on and I get the red led light on the ignition control to blink once and that's it. I followed the troubleshooting guide all the way through and it told me it was the control board. I sourced out a board, plugged it in, and I get the same issue. I feel like I'm missing something?

Any ideas?

So just to recap, I get nothing from the heater except that one light, and only for a second. No "service light", no attempt to purge....nothing.....

Since you "messed" with the wiring, I would start by verifying that all connections are good and you have the correct voltage at all points in the circuits. Hang tight as one of the "better" heater guys will be along shortly.

As danpik said, you need to go thru all the wiring to make sure you didn't connect something wrong.

One blink is an air flow fault and most likely because the blower is not coming on. Is the blower motor starting up? Have you confirmed that the mice didn't chew a hole in any of the air tubes?

Also depending on how badly they chewed the wiring it might be a good idea to order a new wire harness so that you don't have issues down the road.

The mice did not actually chew through any wires except the 120 plug (I replaced it), most of the damage was just the wire jacket chewed off. I disconnected 1 at a time, repaired and reconnected so I didnt mix anything. I just need to go through it again.

If the blower doesnt respond (which would be the air flow fault) does the unit not respond? The blower is wired to 120, but I would think the panel would still light up even if the blower didn't come on?

Nothing tries to come on, no blower, nothing. No lights, no display...just that 1 blink, and then nothing....

When there is a call for heat, you should be able to hear a click. Not the loud click of the gas valve, a quieter one. This is a small relay closing and sending power to the blower. If you are not getting that click, either you are not getting enough "ok's" from all the safety circuts...

...OR

Especially if you are getting no display AT ALL from the board, perhaps automation is not calling for heat (signal wire from automation to heater is open), or rat chewed it. Comm wire from automation is frequently a thin single pair and difficult to spot, especially if it has been completely chewed up. Disregard if you have no automation

+1 on check the fuse and confirm you are getting secondary voltage (24V) to the board, 4 wire plug on board with yellow wires. Two wires closest to the adjacent 5 wire plug are your 24V direct from xformer. Note, you should have a wire loop from the bottom of the fuse connector to the buss right next to the fuse (NON-automation/firemans switch only) also yellow wire. Mice like to chew that down to the nub.

Or you replaced a bad board with a bad board. Not likely, but not impossible.

Did you check the small fuse on the power board to see if it was blown?

Yes sir, first thing. Not blown.

When there is a call for heat, you should be able to hear a click. Not the loud click of the gas valve, a quieter one. This is a small relay closing and sending power to the blower. If you are not getting that click, either you are not getting enough "ok's" from all the safety circuts...

...OR

Especially if you are getting no display AT ALL from the board, perhaps automation is not calling for heat (signal wire from automation to heater is open), or rat chewed it. Comm wire from automation is frequently a thin single pair and difficult to spot, especially if it has been completely chewed up. Disregard if you have no automation

+1 on check the fuse and confirm you are getting secondary voltage (24V) to the board, 4 wire plug on board with yellow wires. Two wires closest to the adjacent 5 wire plug are your 24V direct from xformer. Note, you should have a wire loop from the bottom of the fuse connector to the buss right next to the fuse (NON-automation/firemans switch only) also yellow wire.

Or you replaced a bad board with a bad board. Not likely, but not impossible.

No click, just that 1 red blink and then nothing

No automation and the jumper is there

I have confirmed that I have 24V from the relay by testing the orange and blue wires coming from the relay and also between the fireman switch terminals and ground

I need to check the 2 lines coming to the board for 24V

I'm trying to understand the logic behind it, I believe the control board controls everything(ie, nothing works without it)? Or does the blower fire up and allow everything else to work (although, I would imagine if it was just the blower I would get some sort of fault on the display and I get nothing)?

Let me say I REALLY appreciate your responses. I know I'm not the quickest to get back and respond (today was in the pool with the kids). It means a lot that you all take time out of your day to bounce some ideas/share your knowledge. Thanks!

The board and the ignition control module are the controllers. If nothing is powering up then I would also double check the transformer and also what you incoming voltage is from the breaker.

The board and the ignition control module are the controllers. If nothing is powering up then I would also double check the transformer and also what you incoming voltage is from the breaker.

Well....I get 1 red blink from the ignition control module and that's it, transformer gives 24V, voltage coming in is 120V tested at L1 and L2 respectively (and yes I used the correct 120 plug). Thanks though...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.