Clearing algae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: main drain has dirt and debri sitting in the bottom-no suction?

FC test was 10 ml. added a heaping schoop of r0870. originally i thought it took 25 drops to turn clear,then i did it again and it took 21. i did it again since it seemed to quickly turn pink again while i was reading directions to to the CC part and that time it took 18 drops. i did not add anything today so i did not adjust the pH today

Ok, with 10ml you divided the drops by 2 (or multiply by 0.5). So 18 drops is an FC of 9.

Did your kit come with a small bottle of CYA standard solution? If so, read how to mix that up (I'd tell you how, but my 1 year old kit didn't have that addition yet). Then use the CYA standard mixed as directed and see when the dot disappears. Use the same mixture to do it 2 or 3 times to get a better feel for it. Post your average here for the CYA Standard Test.

I'm thinking you will have to add some CYA. You can continue the SLAM while adding the CYA. It's available at Walmart in the pool section as stabilizer. In a 4 pound tub of granules if i remember correctly.

i'm testing the salt with liquid drops. I can't say how well I did on holding the bottle completely verticle but I did aquaponics for a while and I remembered someone telling me this so I did try to remember this. there was the one test that said to hold it completely verticle and wipe between. i made sure to do that. according to your very nicely organized response I think it was the salt one but I imagine it's important for all the tests? the tricky one on that one was the color "brick red." it never got Red and never got brown, tho. that was the last test and I figured a bonus test, especially since I had brought my cell in to Leslies so I didn't redo that one. Maybe I would've gotten a drop or 3 less. thx for the explanation regarding why to wipe it off in between drops.

all helpful tips. do the numbers seem likely accurate or will i need to do them again? if I need to go to the store to buy boric acid or something the sooner I know the better. thx!

On the FAS-DVD test (the one with the powder) for FC - if you let it sit it will usually turn pink again. After it turns clear, write down the reading and immediately add the 5 drops of R-0003 and continue with the CC test.

Hold ALL the reagent bottles vertical (not the R-0013 CYA reagent though).

TA test only - wipe tip of R-0009 between drops with a damp paper towel.

Shopping:
1 - one bucket of granular stabilizer (CYA) - 4 pounds
2 - more "Chlorinating Liquid" - the 10% stiff for $2.50 at WalmaRT

Here's a pic of the stabilizer I bought and of my test kit. I keep the small blue kit separate for daily testing. Both kits stored vertically (all bottle caps pointed up) in laundry room cabinet.

20160619_132508.jpg

i will try to reply in blue
Ok, with 10ml you divided the drops by 2 (or multiply by 0.5). So 18 drops is an FC of 9.

Did your kit come with a small bottle of CYA standard solution? If so, read how to mix that up (I'd tell you how, but my 1 year old kit didn't have that addition yet). Then use the CYA standard mixed as directed and see when the dot disappears. Use the same mixture to do it 2 or 3 times to get a better feel for it. Post your average here for the CYA Standard Test.

I'm thinking you will have to add some CYA. You can continue the SLAM while adding the CYA. It's available at Walmart in the pool section as stabilizer. In a 4 pound tub of granules if i remember correctly.

oh, yes, by the third time and a couple hrs i forgot to multiply FC by .5. thanku for catching that! I see no small bottle of CYA standard solution. I jut have the larger 8 oz bottle of CYA Reagent and I don't recall seeing it on the list of what should be in the kit.
Besides CYA do I need to add anything else?
Is the CYA something I would want to add at night or when kids aren't swimming?
Do they have different choices or just buy whichever one?
I would do the pool math on the calculator and figure out how much from there?
If we are not sure if I need it, is it safer to start by going light and then retesting?
Ok to add close to when I add acid or do i not add acid at this time of the SLAM?
As far as continuing to SLAM, do I still brush daily and add 1/2 gallon chlorine each day?
Can I store this with my acid?
When I tested chlorine with both kits this morn the old kit said it could pass for 3 and the new kit said above 5. Is my FC # the number I was looking for on the regular chlorine test kit? curious. thx!

u r one step ahead of me in posts. thx and thx for the pic of stabilizer. is walmart usually better than Leslies? Cheaper? Fresher? Leslies has coupons I think, lines are shorter (usually) and it's closer, although then I have to search for a coupon. In general, though if not wanting to deal with coupons... Walmart is cheaper/fresher?

Cheaper for sure. Stabilizer has a LONG shelf life too.
Also, how much liquid chlorine do you have left. the 10% for $2.50 at Walmart is a better deal too.

i have 3 bottle of chlorine left. how many will i need? do i need to see if they have boric acid or anything else? i'm thinking of going right now. also, did u see post 98? thx!

i will try to reply in blue

oh, yes, by the third time and a couple hrs i forgot to multiply FC by .5. thanku for catching that! I see no small bottle of CYA standard solution. I jut have the larger 8 oz bottle of CYA Reagent and I don't recall seeing it on the list of what should be in the kit.

Besides CYA do I need to add anything else?
More liquid chlorine? How much do you have on hand?

Is the CYA something I would want to add at night or when kids aren't swimming?
Put in a sock inside the skimmer. Okay to swim with it in skimmer - pH between 7.2 and 7.8, FC between minimum and shock level for your CYA and you can see bottom of pool clearly.

Do they have different choices or just buy whichever one?
See my pic above. That's the one they had when I bought it last year. It's basically all the same, Should say between 95% and 99% cyanuric acid I believe.

I would do the pool math on the calculator and figure out how much from there?
Yes, use Pool Math and post first so we can double check your numbers.

If we are not sure if I need it, is it safer to start by going light and then retesting?
For the CYA, see above answer. We can advise after you post your Pool Math findings.

Ok to add close to when I add acid or do i not add acid at this time of the SLAM?
If your FC is below 10, check the pH - use Pool Math to find amount of MA to add and add it. Wait 20-30 minutes before adding chlorine after an acid addition.

As far as continuing to SLAM, do I still brush daily and add 1/2 gallon chlorine each day?
Brush daily - YES!!
You will add chlorine based on your FC testing results. Each time you test you will add chlorine to bring the level back up to the "shock" level listed for your CYA.

Can I store this with my acid?
The CYA? As long as the container is closed, you can store it pretty much anywhere dry. If storing with liquids, just place it above the liquid stuff. I store mine on a garage shelf. Acid should be stored separate from other chemicals - and especially not near chlorine.

When I tested chlorine with both kits this morn the old kit said it could pass for 3 and the new kit said above 5. Is my FC # the number I was looking for on the regular chlorine test kit?
The smaller kits where your add 5 drops and the chlorine test turns (or should turn) a shade of yellow just indicate you have chlorine in the water. They provide an approximation of chlorine level (up to about 5 ppm usually). The FAS-DPD test (with the powder) is highly accurate - up to about 50 ppm I believe. For the SLAM you will be using the FAS-DPD test.

curious. thx!

If you are fairly confident with your other test results, there is no need to do each one EVERY time during the SLAM process. With FC below 10, get the pH to 7.2 and then bump the FC up to SLAM levels.

Go to Wally World, grab some CYA and some more chlorine. When you return and have a few minutes, let us know how much stabilizer YOU think you should add (based on Pool Math) and we'll go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

i have 3 bottle of chlorine left. how many will i need? do i need to see if they have boric acid or anything else? i'm thinking of going right now. also, did u see post 98? thx!

Grab 4-6 gallons more.
No boric acid - just stabilizer (see my pic above)

Yup - I saw post #98 --- see my responses in BLUE above. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Gene THANKS! You are going a great job helping her out! :super:

LOL the test will get easier and faster once you understand and your water get stable. Right now it is in flux with the SLAM so things will be a little harder.

Are you keeping a log of your test results? If not you need to be. It will help you learn your pool.

How does you water look today?

Kim:cat:

got the CYA and ready to put it in the pool. what is the range target again? I'll post more info later as we're busy celebrating Fathers Day but I still want to get this in the pool. I'll do this and add acid. thanku!

Double check my numbers using Pool Math before adding........

If the CYA test tube was clear when filled to top, add CYA to target 30 - which is 56oz by weight (3.5 pounds).

If the CYA test tube was a little cloudy when filled to top (I'm estimating you might have about 10 now), add CYA to add 20 (10+20=30) - which is 37oz by weight (about 2 1/3 pounds).

In either case above, this should get you to about 30.

Adjust pH to 7.2 - if you're at 7.5-7.6 right now, add 3 - 8oz cups of 31.45% MA (is your MA 31.45% or lower?)

30 minutes later add chlorine to your CYA 30 shock level of 12 using Pool Math to determine quantity of chlorine to add.

- - - Updated - - -

Put CYA quantity in a sock, tie the top closed and place in skimmer.

Throughout the SLAM, leave pump running 24/7.

i wish i started this sooner, especially since we're on the peak time 3p-6p on monday. it's ok. i got the same numbers u did. i'm trying to trust. how many days should i have to leave the pool to such a high level? walmart didn't have the liquid stabilizer. was yours liquid? yours said "stabilizer and conditioner" and the one I got, hth brand like yours, just said "stabilizer." ingredients are 98.5% Cyanyuric Acid. and with it being a powder, use the same numbers, right? thx

- - - Updated - - -

how long is the CYA going to keep the chlorine at 12?

Sorry, thought I previously mentioned to use the granular stabilizer - the liquid stuff is real expensive for what you get.

Yes, use the same quantity.

I wish I could tell you exactly how long it's going to take. A lot depends on your willingness to test and dose the chlorine to shock level as much as you're able. At least morning and evening, more if your are able. It's going to take what it takes.

You can swim anytime your FC is above the minimum and at or below shock level for your CYA (you are adding CYA to get it to 30, so look at the CYA/Chlorine Chart), pH is between 7.2 and 7.8, and you can clearly see the bottom of the pool. If you're that concerned about the chlorine, just rinse off or shower when you get out. I was in my pool earlier today with my 1 year old granddaughter. About an hour earlier I added to get FC to 10 (excessive heat, sun and I won't be able to check it again until tomorrow evening). Neither of us melted or had any issues while swimming or after we got out.

- - - Updated - - -

The CYA is NOT going to keep the chlorine at 12. The CYA is going to buffer the chlorine to keep the sun from burning the chlorine off so quickly. YOU are going to add chlorine to get and keep the FC at 12 to purge the pool of algae and organic material.

thank you for your patience. i know u keep telling me the same thing about the chlorine. by the sound of it I might have to leave the FC really high during the hottest days. :( I never did the pool company's way with frustrations so it's harder for me to go back to that to think about. I just know my husband didn't take care of the pool. anyway, i'm trying to have trust... I still don't understand how the level of the combination of the CYA and the makes the chlorine any less dangerous for a person and if that's the case it would be helpful for me to know that. if the combo isn't necessarily making it less dangerous, I'll move on from there and research this more later, I'm sure. I have a question about how much bleach to add, though, because when I look at my FC level that I took this morn it's 18 and if 12 is the target I shouldn't add. At this point do I recheck and add accordingly at that point? u probably did tell me to get granular CYA and when I thought of putting it in a sock it only made sense that it was granular. It's just that I'm visiting with family today and trying to do this at the same time... thank u!

The CYA helps the FC in two ways:

-it acts as "sunscreen" for the FC during the day. You will still need to add FC each day BUT not as much because you did not lose as much as you would have if you did not have CYA in the pool.

-it helps "buffer" the FC so it is safe to have it at levels high enough to keep the evil algae at bay while being safe to swim in.

i added the acid and am about to add the stabilizer. i don't have a scale that will measure by the pound so am planning on using half the bottle. if there are other ideas or if i need to invest in a scale at a later date pls let me know how u do this. thanks again!!

I use a plastic measuring cup and do by the oz. on the side of the cup. I have two measuring cups. The MA gets it's own cup and all of the other stuff gets to share a cup.

I use a plastic measuring cup and do by the oz. on the side of the cup. I have two measuring cups. The MA gets it's own cup and all of the other stuff gets to share a cup.

Kim, thx! i went ahead and eyeballed it as I did not know the oz on the measuring cup could measure weight as well but I'll use the cup for next time. I was wondering if we needed a separate cup for MA. and to answer your previous question, I am not taking records so i will make sure to record all of this on a word doc unless anyone has a better method. thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.