Spring TX - O/B - Looking for my deep blue horizon!

H2o-Boy

Gold Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Spring Texas
This will by my first pool to own, and now my first pool to build. I have the plans below and would love to hear some insight. I will be beginning as soon as I get my last quotes back. Once i have everything set in stone, I will add my info to my signature. I plan to use Hayward pumps and heater, paramount PV-3 in floor cleaning system, fire bowls on column in back, sheer descent features, split face weeping wall between columns, water scuppers on the columns, 360 degree zero edge on the spa, tanning ledge, sleeves for volleyball net, sleeve for removable table by entry steps. Wet-Edge primera stone plaster, travertine coping with travertine pavers on flatwork......

Hopefully that link works. Below is a basic 3D rendering without a couple options i added, or final color choices. Gives the general idea.

Also, if anyone has any ideas as to where I should put the lights if they need to move, I would be interested in opinions. I dont like the idea of them being in the swim lane, but i dont want dark areas either. I thought maybe 1 could go under the tanning ledge, and 1 in the 2nd step of the entrance. I am going to add lights under the bubblers, and possible 1 Hayward 320 LED on the ledge.

Finally got started. Progression photos from today.

First piece of dirt removed....exciting moment

View from the balcony. The guys were awesome and made good time

Tanning ledge and hot tub pad

Finished and ready for next stage.

If you build it, they will come....

More progress. It has been an extra day for plumbing prior to rebar for the in ground system, but now rebar is in. They are installing the plumbing jets, lighting, accent lighting conduit, and gas line tomorrow then getting gunite Saturday.

Yes Ma'am, we have made great progress. I have been out of town for 8 days, but my guys kept the momentum going. I have the gunite installed (actually before i left town), all plumbing ran, and the coping started today. Plumbers are supposed to set all the equipment tomorrow, electrician is starting all of his work tomorrow as well as i have several things he has to do. All of my final tile selections are made and material will be here in 2 days. All coping and pavers are delivered and ready!

One question i have if anyone reads this, is about the tile around the tub. I planned to do glass tile (NPT Canyon Gems Golden Bronze) on the top of the zero edge wall and around the outside tub. Does anyone have any expierence with glass tiles coming off after some time and/or use?? My tile/coping contractor cautioned me with the glass tile usage. He has seen instances where it became an issue, and one builder he works for will not do any of them now. Any insight appreciated.

Below are pictures of progress with exception of the coping that started today.

Plumbing lines ran

Sorry, i have to take 2 pics to get the whole pool from the balcony

Coping still going in. Today the back wall split face travertine almost got finished. Electrician ran all his lines. Final choice for hot tub glass tile made, as well as the column tiles. Pics below

Split face travertine

Hot tub tiles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going with the Wet Edge Primera Stone for the plaster. If anyone happens to read this, and has any input i would love to hear it (color input as I have set my mind on the primera stone for its look and feel) I am wanting a blue water that makes you want to jump in without taking your iphone out of your pocket. I don't want a gray really as my tanning ledge would be gray. I spend 2 hours a night agonizing over this pool color, as I feel its the most important. If push came to shove, i could replace every other color on the pool build well before I could redo the plaster.... I currently am leaning towards the Azure Treasure or Blue Pacific Coast. Last night I was on the Riviera Coast and Tahoe Coast. Few nights ago I was all about the Grigio Treasure. This is killing me. Most of the pics i find online originate from Wet Edge, or some other pool builders website. The difference in lighting/coping/surroundings is drastic. If every pic online had 20 to go with it from different times it would be easier, but they dont. Unfortunately, there are far less Primera Stone pools on this forum than there are the other products. Thank you in advance for your opinion.

I still have my flyers from when we were choosing. I'm partial to the glass (we did Prism Matrix) and would probably go with the Azure Treasure. The glass just pops beautifully and the color is also very blue. I agonized over ours too and in the end we chose a modified color. We did the base color from one and stones from another to get closer to the color we were hoping for. Very happy with my choice now but I was anxious the whole time. Your stone looks great (same as mine, hehe)! I think glass does fine and many pools on TFP have it but you should have skilled installers. Maybe your PB is worried about the skill of his crew? I'm in Cypress if you want to see how the glass looks in the plaster. Mine isn't Primera Stone but it is Wet Edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think that building a pool would be so stressful. Getting the color/style/design of all the finishes is difficult when you have no foundation to go off of. We have made some progress from last post. The center portion of the wall had some late changes. We were going to use an antico travertine on the weeping wall and columns. The company that sells the stone talked me out of the antico saying it would clash with my arizona color split face. They talked me in to a noce. Last minute decision at the stone store and my wife wasn't available to be there.......I made the wrong decision. The color/look did not turn out. The pic below is when portion of the tile was up, then it rained a bit so the color was even darker. I ended up having the tile guy remove the column tile, and replace with arizona split face and added some of the hot tub tile and an accent tile from water line. Thoughts? Opinions?

This was after the first choice was installed on column. I really wanted a weave tile design, but noone had it in the colors I needed.

This is a pic of the hot tub tile and the accent tile from the water line

This is how the redesigned column. Wife is much happier, and i am as well. Adding the pieces from the tub and water line tied it all togehter, yet made the columns stand out which is what i wanted.

Tomorrow the pool tile will be complete, and the pavers started. Hopefully I will have my plaster in on Friday. I finally decided on the Primera Stone Azure treasure.
Started the patio/balcony cover extension yesterday. Only difficult decision remaining is what to get and where to purchase on the fire bowls. I quickly learned that no fire bowl was created equal, in price anyways. My other last item to purchase is my kids favorite, a metal spiral staircase leading down from the balcony!!

I am just now finding your build thread! What a lot of work you have already done!

I LOVE The column tile and accent! THAT nails it! Sometimes you just have to start over but that is life and easy to do.

Your plaster color-See if there is any of the colors you are thinking about in pools you can go see in person. Looking online is SO hard!

:kim:

I am just now finding your build thread! What a lot of work you have already done!

I LOVE The column tile and accent! THAT nails it! Sometimes you just have to start over but that is life and easy to do.

Your plaster color-See if there is any of the colors you are thinking about in pools you can go see in person. Looking online is SO hard!

I was wondering what I had to do to get your input on my build. :D

I try to keep it to a few so I can give my attention on the ones I am working on. I just "cleared" a few so have "room" for yours now! Better get your wallet ready!

Lets talk about your plaster color. Do you have any pics on line of colors you like? Will you link to them so we can see what you like?

Fire bowls=same thing.........what do you like and not like? Shape, color, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and what color grout are you going to use on that pretty tile??

I try to keep it to a few so I can give my attention on the ones I am working on. I just "cleared" a few so have "room" for yours now! Better get your wallet ready!

Lets talk about your plaster color. Do you have any pics on line of colors you like? Will you link to them so we can see what you like?

Fire bowls=same thing.........what do you like and not like? Shape, color, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and what color grout are you going to use on that pretty tile??

Hopefully this link works correctly. I'm thinking of the Azure Treasure from Wet Edge in the Primera Stone. Other considerations were the Grigio Treasure and the Rivera Coast.
Wet Edge | Products | Azure Treasure
Wet Edge | Products | Grigio Treasure
Wet Edge | Products | Riviera Coast

The blue I want is not baby blue, not sky blue, but the blue that makes you want to jump in without consideration of the fact your phone is in your pocket and your dont have a swimming suit on.

On the fire bowls, i originally set out to get a round concrete style in a "Wok" fashion as they call it. I have now included consideration in the darker copper bowls, as concrete doesn't seem to be saving me any money. I like the round since my columns are square it will stand out. I'm thinking a 28"-32" size as measured on top of the bowl and 12" high. My columns are 24". I'm doing automatic ignition. My goal is to not spend 8k to get what I want. I will add some photos of the fire bowls I've been looking at.

On the grout, right now I'm leaning towards antique white.

My fav plaster color is the Azure Treasure by far! Next is Riviera Coast. I do not really care for Grigio Treasure as it is too baby blue for me.

Ask a tile place to see their grout sticks to hold by your pretty tile and see what looks the best. I worry any kind of white may have too much of a contrast BUT that might be a good thing when you see it side by side.

Another thing you need to play around with is the mastic under the tile. This color will shine through the glass tile so is also very important.

I am looking forward to seeing your fire bowl picks!

Did you know you can get fire glass from Lowes?? I just saw some and it is PRETTY! One of the colors is........copper!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.