Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it Metal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it Metal?

For the last 2 years I have had a dark, shade-like stain only in the deep end of my fiberglass pool. Does not seem to scrub off with abrasive sponge, etc. Seems to spare the very edge of the pool corners. I theorize due to the accumulation of chemicals in the corner of the pool that "bleaches it" but this is a guess. I am not certain when it appeared in relation to the addition of chemicals. I had added an algaecide from Home Depot prior to close a couple years ago, so I postulated it maybe copper and related, but not sure as it was overwintered then.

I took a sample to the pool store to discuss with them about 2 years ago and they said the "metal" was a bit high, and I used a sequestering agent. On retest I was told it was fine.

Stain remains.

I included a picture. Is there anything I can/should try? I suspect this is just cosmetic but it bothers me.

Thank you, and best regards to an awesome site.

- AOR

FC = 3.5
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 150
    CH = 130
    CYA ~ 40
    Borate = 30

19,100 Gal Fiberglass San Juan IG Pool, circa 1979.
    Tagelus Pentair TA-60/60D
    Jandy Flopro 3/4 HP
    LaarsLite 2 Gas Furnace
    Taylor K-2006 testkit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Is it Metal?

Welcome to TFP!

Crush up some Vit C tablets in a sock or knee high and rub it on the stain for up to 30 minutes. If it lifts the stain then it is metal. If it does not then rub a trichlor puck on the stain for up to 15 minutes. If the stain lightens then it is organic.

For a metal stain read up here, there is a link to an Ascorbic Acid treatment page that can lift the stains. Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

For organic stains raise FC up toward shock level, FC/CYA Chart, and brush. The stain should clear up in a week or two.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Is it Metal?

First I would suggest you stop using abrasives on the pool- that is if you want to protect your gelcoat surface that is?

Grab a handful of vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock and rub it on one area. If it lifts the stain its metal.

Then in a different area try holding a chlorine puck on the stain and if that lifts it after a few minutes, its organic.

Let us know what you results are.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter