jets returns dirty water after vacuum

jenniferlyn72

May 11, 2016
Schaghticoke, NY
Hello.. i have a Hayward Vari-Flo XL valve model SP714 sand filter. Its been running 24/7 for 7days after a super shock due to extensive algae growth. Pool not clearing. Vacuumed for a few minutes, removed vacuum attachment and the green algae water was pushed back in pool thru the jet. I did clean filter basket and found a bunch of sand which i cleaned out in order to put back in. Barely any suction in vacuum, filter has not "told" me it needs to be backwashed as of yet and its been 7 days. I do believe spider gasket is bad due to water dripping out of waste spout. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problems above. Also there is sand in the looking glass on filter. Looking for suggestions on what the problem might be. Thank you in advance ?

Welcome to TFP!

With algae in the pool you should expect to backwash frequently. Nothing clogs a filter faster than algae. Most times they need to be cleaned every 1 to 2 days with algae. We recommend backwashing a filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure.

Here are a couple of handy articles about filter maintenance
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.