How to Test for Zero Alkalinity

Feb 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
My PB just started an Acid Bath (probably around 4 to 6 gallons in my 7600g pool; my wife saw him add it but we didn't get a full count) and the PH dropped to 3.2 (according to my PH meter). How do I test if TA is zero? I have the TF 100 and as soon as I add the "green" reagent R-0008 which usually turns the color to green it immediately turns red. Does this mean my TA is zero?

1) Do I test the CH to see if the calcium starts to rise (due to plaster being eaten)? PH seems to be rising slightly (after 24 hours up to 3.5 in the pool and 4.0 in the spa).

2) Will I expect to see plaster dust or is this completely dissolved by the acid? It's been 24 hours and I don't see any plaster dust.

3) I have the pump/filter turned off but there is some small debris at the bottom of the pool. Should I get a net at the pool store to pick that up? Will it damage anything? The plaster lead was supposed to come by with a pump to circulate the acid but hasn't been here after 24 hours of the bath.

4) When do I worry about chlorine (the girl at the pool store said I still needed it but with water that's vinegar I don't think anything will grow)? I still have not added any chlorine (was going to wait for the Acid bath to be complete)

5) As I have been brushing very little appears to be happening (steel brush and I'm working it like crazy!). Is that normal? This was unlike when the pool was filled and I would brush and see nice plumes of dust that I swept to the drains.

6) Do I want to only focus on the white even though this is to expose the aggregate?

Sorry for all the questions but I wanted to ask the experts. A lot of the streaking I see right now (which is of some concern) is clearly visible in photos that I have just after the plaster was finished and before the fill.

Thanks All!

A pH of 4-4.5 usually results with a TA of 0 so that's why you are getting those results. The intention of your plaster contractor is to remove and dissolve the excess cream. I wouldn't focus too much on testing the water because it doesn't really make any difference. Your CH is rising as the plaster dissolves (to be expected) and little dust is seen because the pH is so low it's nearly instantly dissolved.

Brush as much as you can to even out the color and remove the cream. If you have that much discoloration, then the only fix may be a drain and acid wash.

Don't run the equipment with the water in that condition. Wait until either you or the contractor balance the pool.

What's the plan from here? It sure seems like you are doing a lot of the work but the plaster contractor is still in the picture?

I have never seen steel brush recommended for fresh plaster. Yours is the first post I have seen where someone used one so no bad news may be good news but I would be carefull if you start to see scratches I would move to a nylon brush

As for the TA test turning read that is an indication of 0 TA if you look in pool school under extended test kit directions it is in there.

Thanks for the responses.

Bdavis:
Yes, I'm just over anxious and nerdy so checking everything I can. Spoke with the plaster lead who is coming tomorrow. I'll know more then. I think he's putting a pump in to circulate the acid out of the bottom and check on the progress. I'll try to post some pics soon. Yes, I turned off the pool equipment at the breaker as additional safety to not start the pumps. Not sure how the plaster contractor plans on bringing the ph back up (think he mentioned soda ash). Thanks for your insight!

Atttech: I know the 50/50 are recommended for pebble/Quartz. The purpose was to expose the aggregate which is starting to be seen a bit. I'm reaching my hands in the shallow end to feel the surface for scratching. So far so good. Thanks for pointing this out though. Perhaps I should switch...

Let the plasterer do his thing until he hands the pool over to you. The last thing that you want is for something to conflict with his methods and void your warranty.

Make sure he's aware that you are unhappy with the color being uneven and see what his resolution may be.

Wanted to give an update even if it is SUPER scary.

1) The plaster lead ended up coming today. He indicated to me that the GC on our pool wasn't "paying him to come" and do this treatment on the pool and was doing it because he thought we needed the help. I asked for his card and proceeded to look him upon the CSLB. I have come to find out that this license # expired in 2009.

2) I watched the plaster lead dump another 4 gallons of acid into the pool (including directly on the steps). You can now see the aggregate but there are still "light" streaks on those ledges that he claims will come out over time. PH has now dropped to around 2.3 according to my PH meter (SHOULD I BE WORRIED???).

3) The GC has a final payment which is coming due in the amount of $2000 but at this point I'm a little hesitant to make any payments in light of the above.

Question is... do I withhold the payment?

Am i over reacting?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.