Have algae and CYA levels in pool are at 90-100 and can't drain

Jun 13, 2016
phoenix, AZ
I live in Arizona and the temperatures are at like 100-110 on average right now and my CYA levels are through the roof. I have green and black algae in the pool and don't really know what to do since my cya levels are so high and it would ruin my pool to drain in this heat.

If you are able to, drain down in the early evening for a few hours (no sun on your pool) then fill it
up over night.

I had to do this 3 times to get cya of 300+ down to 80. (drained down until I could see the top of the light ring which was just over 3 feet of water)

Just so happened that if I drained for 4 hours, the tap water from the hose on full would fill it from 9pm
and be full to the skimline by 7am, but that water pressure was pretty low.

This was on a 20,000 gallon pool

if any of the above helps..

I'd call them and ask. Why not just slam it using the cya/chlorine chart to kill it off, vacuum it to waste, and then get if filtered? Leaving acitve alge in the pool while cleaning the water seems counterproductive. You probably will want to backwash or clean the filters while they do their work anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.