Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have algae and CYA levels in pool are at 90-100 and can't drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Have algae and CYA levels in pool are at 90-100 and can't drain

I live in Arizona and the temperatures are at like 100-110 on average right now and my CYA levels are through the roof. I have green and black algae in the pool and don't really know what to do since my cya levels are so high and it would ruin my pool to drain in this heat.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have algae and CYA levels in pool are at 90-100 and can't drain

You do not have to drain 100% all at once. You can do a series of drain and refill cycles to lower the CYA draining only a 1/3 of the pool at a time.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are able to, drain down in the early evening for a few hours (no sun on your pool) then fill it
    up over night.

I had to do this 3 times to get cya of 300+ down to 80. (drained down until I could see the top of the light ring which was just over 3 feet of water)

Just so happened that if I drained for 4 hours, the tap water from the hose on full would fill it from 9pm
    and be full to the skimline by 7am, but that water pressure was pretty low.

This was on a 20,000 gallon pool

if any of the above helps..
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can also have it RO filtered by a outside company. This runs ~$600 here in norcal.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

But I'm not sure if they'll do an algae filled pool, Rossterman?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd call them and ask. Why not just slam it using the cya/chlorine chart to kill it off, vacuum it to waste, and then get if filtered? Leaving acitve alge in the pool while cleaning the water seems counterproductive. You probably will want to backwash or clean the filters while they do their work anyway.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall