Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm losing my pool innocence

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm losing my pool innocence

The more I read about how out-of-whack a pool can get, and how easily that can happen, the more nervous I get about swimming in random pools.

I'll be staying in a hotel tomorrow night. I would normally want to take a dip, but now I'm thinking I should pack a TF-100 kit first...

is that just me?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm losing my pool innocence

Nope, I like my pool - others,are iffy.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

You are not alone.

I have a hard time jumping in hotel pools sometimes, unless the kids are with and then I'm obligated to jump in. If it's cloudy and real suspect, I won't go in and neither will the kids.

-Certified Pool Snob
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same issue...My family has a beach vacation scheduled this summer at a house with a pool. Do I dare take my test kit and run the risk of ruining the pool for everyone or just put on my big boy pants and get through the week being blissfully ignorant?

16 x 36 IG Vinyl, 20,000 gal, chlorine, built 2001
    Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter S210T
    All in with TFP , testing with tf-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd bring it with... well if you're driving. Might have some trouble getting your test kit on the plane.

If it's not too far out of whack, you could enjoy it more, probably with just a quick trip to the store for minimal chemicals.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Just drink beer and jump in the pool. Don't be "that guy"
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Yeah, my wife is now starting to give other pools side-eye after discussing TFP pool maintenance with me.

I suppose personally, I'd tend to swim in a public pool that is at least clear and doesn't reek of CCs, but I still have the urge to pack my test kit and see what the numbers look like.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by paulmaz View Post
    Just drink beer and jump in the pool. Don't be "that guy"
    LOL.

My family is the same way. We went on a weekender and had to go to three hotels before my hubby found a pool he would swim in. The funny thing is...I take care of the pool LOL he has no clue other than the cases of LC stacked up in the laundry room.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

My family expects crystal clear, no smell no strange taste.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall