Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Enclosed Pool Pump and Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Enclosed Pool Pump and Filter

I was sitting out in my yard yesterday and decided that I do not like the looks of the pool pump, filter and SWG right next to my pool. I have decided to put it all in a storage shed like this 15' from my pool:
    shed.jpg
    So, my question is, what type of pump do I need to buy to accomplish this? I have the Intex 2800 gph pump right now with a Hayward sand filter. I plan on reusing the sand filter. I own my own trencher so the pipe and electric install is not a problem. Thanks.
    14'X42'' Summer Escapes AGP
    2800 GPH Intex Pump with Hayward S166T Sand FIlter and Krystal Clear SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit w/K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Enclosed Pool Pump and Filter

I think if you went with 2 inch hard pipe that pump may work just fine and then if it does not you could change it out but its free to try that pump
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

You are right it is worth a shot. If not what brand is better, Hayward or Pentair? I want a two speed pump if I change it out.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    You are right it is worth a shot. If not what brand is better, Hayward or Pentair? I want a two speed pump if I change it out.

Why do you want a two speed pump? I looked at them for my 27' ABG pool, and for the number of hours a day I run my set up, the cost of electricity, and the extra cost of a 2 speed, the savings are just not there. Sure, if I had a larger pool with longer run times, water features requiring higher flow rates, or a an attacehed spa, then I could see it, but I dont see any savings for a plain vanilla ABG.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    Why do you want a two speed pump? I looked at them for my 27' ABG pool, and for the number of hours a day I run my set up, the cost of electricity, and the extra cost of a 2 speed, the savings are just not there. Sure, if I had a larger pool with longer run times, water features requiring higher flow rates, or a an attacehed spa, then I could see it, but I dont see any savings for a plain vanilla ABG.

-dave
    brunnesa does have an SWG so especially during the summer months, longer pump run times would be needed to maintain proper sanitation as opposed to a manually chlorinated pool. 2-speed and VS pumps make the most sense with SWG set ups when pay off is concerned, in addition to local electric rate pricing and peak pricing.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    brunnesa does have an SWG so especially during the summer months, longer pump run times would be needed to maintain proper sanitation as opposed to a manually chlorinated pool. 2-speed and VS pumps make the most sense with SWG set ups when pay off is concerned, in addition to local electric rate pricing and peak pricing.
    I missed the SWG in his quote. I would still advide him to look at the costs though. I was considering adding a SWB to mine (still am considering it) and when I bough a new pump last season I did look at two speed with an eye towards longer run times. Even with a longer run time, the payoff was not there. What I could have done was gone to a smaller sigle speed, that would have saved money on the purchase, and then I would not be running it just for the SWG if I installed one. With the lower flow rates I would be need to run it that long for filtration as well. I guess my point is, don't allways assume that "the best" is the best untill you look into the numbers. I know that NJ usually has higher than average electric rates, that's why I was suprised when the numbers just werent there for me. Maybe it is because I only have my pool open 3 months out of the year.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    I missed the SWG in his quote. I would still advide him to look at the costs though. I was considering adding a SWB to mine (still am considering it) and when I bough a new pump last season I did look at two speed with an eye towards longer run times. Even with a longer run time, the payoff was not there. What I could have done was gone to a smaller sigle speed, that would have saved money on the purchase, and then I would not be running it just for the SWG if I installed one. With the lower flow rates I would be need to run it that long for filtration as well. I guess my point is, don't allways assume that "the best" is the best untill you look into the numbers. I know that NJ usually has higher than average electric rates, that's why I was suprised when the numbers just werent there for me. Maybe it is because I only have my pool open 3 months out of the year.

-dave
    Hi Dave, thanks for the advice. I will look at the return on investment time period. I was just thinking with the SWG, that the 2 speed would be nice because right now my pump is running just because the SWG is working, not because the pool needs it. Also, at some point I will be getting a way larger pool, and want to only buy another pump once.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Pay back on 2 speed and VS can be pretty quick if your electric rates are high or if you need extended run times to suit your pools needs. My VS pump runs 12hrs a day at 1400rpm to keep the surface skimmed or my heater running. At 1400 rpm its only using 200watts an hour. A single speed 1hp pump will consume about 1000 watts an hour. If you have a 2 speed motor your low speed will be about 400-500 watts an hour. It actually costs me more in electricity to run each of the ceiling fans in my house than it does to run my pool pump. I understand a lot of peoples electric rates are much lower than I pay, but a 50% or better power consumption multi and variable speed motors are very attractive. Not to mention how quiet they are. I have to look in the pump basket to check if my pump is running at low speed cause I cant hear it.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec
    If you have a 2 speed motor your low speed will be about 400-500 watts an hour.
    Larger 2 speeds may use that but mine uses only 225 watts.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Well I was working off the 1hp number you are right tho he could easily get away with a 1/2 horse pump and save even more. I'm a huge fan of multi speed motors all those watts save add up big time.
    Chuck-

12. Back To Top    #12

The MaxFlo XL 1 HP uses less than 270 watts on low speed.
    The SuperFlo 1 HP uses around 300 watts on low speed.

But in many cases, it takes a VS a very long to make up the difference in cost.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I agree a VS doesn't fit the bill most of the time dual speed pumps often do. I effectively paid 350 for my pump and my electric rates are 0.22 kWh. A VS pump will easily be worth my investment over time. I tend to be biased towards VFD driven motors from my experience in the power production industry I'm very excited to see them make it into the residential market at reasonable prices. My refrigerator has a VS motor and it amazing how much electricity that saves. I'm also a huge fan of LED lighting but that's another story.
    Chuck-