Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for Ascorbic Acid Treatment - pH rise with Polyquat 60

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing for Ascorbic Acid Treatment - pH rise with Polyquat 60

In preparing for an AA treatment to remove metal staining, I lowered my pH from 7.6 to 7.2 with Muriatic Acid on Sunday evening. Tested again last night and pH was still at 7.2. As a note my CYA was between 20-30 and my FC was at 5. Following the test I added 48 oz of Polyquat 60 anticipating it would further reduce by FC by morning and I could start the AA treatment. This morning, my FC was at 4 (tested using my DPD drops and not my TF-100 Taylor chemicals) and my pH had jumped back up to 7.5. I can lower the pH again by adding more MA, but before doing that and proceeding with the AA treatment wanted to get input if there is something else going on I should be paying attention to before proceeding with adding the AA. How long should I wait between adding the MA and starting the AA treatment, the standard hour or two the MA normally takes to mix in and reduce my pH or should I wait longer?
    28,000 gallon in-ground freeform plaster pool with attached built-in spa
    Sta-Rite DuraGlass single speed 1HP pump - P2RA5E (Age Unknown)
    Pentair Tagelus 60d ClearPro sand filter (May 2016)
    Polaris PB4-60 booster pump (June 2014) for Polaris 280 (Age Unknown)
    Raypak propane heater (Age Unknown)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing for Ascorbic Acid Treatment - pH rise with Polyquat 60

I would lower to the recommended pH again with muriatic acid. If you let it circulate for an hour, that's plenty. Could even do less if you brush the pool.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

That makes sense but why the pH rise overnight in the first place I guess is my first question? Does Polyquat 60 cause pH to rise? I've had near constant pH between 7.4 and 7.6 since opening a month ago so it just seemed odd. TA has been between 80 and 90 as well (80 seems to be the normal sweet spot).

4. Back To Top    #4

So bizarre. Just retested before adding MA and my pH was down to 7.4. Wasn't sure so retested and confirmed. Must have gotten a fat or extra drop this morning. Lesson learned to always retest if an unexpected result is achieved to eliminate human error. Confirmed no more FC so I guess it's time to start after the MA dose I just put in mixes. Just hoping the rain stays away the rest of the evening so I can get it done. If not then it will be an early morning for me.