LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi. I've often thought that my pump moves an awful lot of water. Just wondering your opinions on the sizing.

The pump is a Hayward Tristar SP3210Z1BER. Sticker on the side says 1.85BHP, 1FRHP/1.85SF. I think this is a 1HP pump. The plumbing is 2".

The filter is sand. The sticker says 'Club Pro' on it, and Hayward in smaller print. Model is SM2506T. Filter area is 3.14 sq/ft, filter and backwash rate is 20GPM, design flow rate is 63GPM, max psi is 50, and it takes 300lbs of #20 or #1/2 silica filter sand.

The pool is 16x28 Roman with around 55000-60000litres (15000 gallons), one skimmer, four returns, two deck jets, one suction line for Barracuda cleaner. There are also nine 4x10 Fafco solar panels on the roof.

Without the solar running, the filter psi is 24. With the solar on, the psi is 28.

Don't know what else I can mention. We're now entering out third season with this pool. Never had a problem with algae or cloudiness etc., so I assume the pump/filter work just fine. Just wanted opinions from the experts here.

Thanks.

YOur pump may be just a little too big and your filter is certainly too small. I don't have the details, but I'd guess that pump is capable of over 100gpm in your setup and the filter is only rated to receive 63gpm.

If you have no pool issues, I would leave it alone. If it starts bugging you for one reason or another. a filter around 120-140gpm would be good and you could keep the existing pump or even get a variable speed and probably have it paid for pretty quickly in electricity costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.