Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal stains from Brite Stix I think

1. Back To Top    #1

Grand Rapids MI

Metal stains from Brite Stix I think

Hello everyone,

I had an issue last summer with metal staining that I was not sure of what the source was. It was either algaecide the pool company dumped in or Poolife Brite Stix I used for a bit. Both of these contained copper. This year there was no algaecide put into the pool and I forgot that the Brite Stix might have been the culprit. I used a few over the past week or so and now the stains are coming back lightly. I'm guessing the source is the Brite Stix. They contain 1.5% of Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate. Is this enough to cause metal stains on a vinyl liner?
    18,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Metal stains from Brite Stix I think

Once copper reaches about 0.3 ppm it can stain pools, hair, fingernails, dogs, swimsuits, etc. What is worse is that the only way to remove it is to partial drain and refill. Copper is not good for pools. I don't understand why they make copper products.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach