Iron in water

Zrock

Jun 21, 2016
bc
I set up our hydro-force 16ft pool this year. I made the mistake of not running the well for a day to clear it out since its been sitting dormant for the year. So the pool was extremely heavy in iron when i started getting the chemicals right. The pool has the stock filter on it 1000GPH running off the skimmer and i also have another 1000GPH filter pump running. The second pump is just running of hoses over the side on the intake side i have added a Peanut butter tub drilled and filled with a good cut to fit filter material for a furnace. The outlet is a 15 foot hose that i just let flop around in the pool to keep things stirred up. After 3 weeks of the pumps running pretty much continuously (shut them off every few days overnight to let things settle) I cannot get the last little bit to filter out. The water is about 95% clear but their is just a little bit settling on the bottom that just seams like it will not trap in the filter. Im cleaning all the filters out every day but just no luck. The first 2 weeks of trying to get the iron out i added 2 or 3 bottles of clarifyer to get things to clump up. It only took me about 48 hours last year to clear the pool running 2 pumps and did not have the extra filter running. Iv even went to the local pool/spa dealer and got some better but over priced filters a week ago and still no luck..

Next year i wont make this mistake i will be putting a water filter on the well before i fill.

Looking around for a good pump and sand filter so i can get rid of the stock junk. Hard to find used in my area. For the amount the pool gets used its not worth it to spend more than the pool is worth on new setups..

Hi, welcome to TFP! It may be more residual iron is dropping out of solution, but you can check by attaching a clean, white tube sock to the return and see if it catches any rust. You may also want to try adding a slime bag to your return to filter out any additional rust.

Also a skimmer bag with poly fill in it or I've even read some have used plain paper towels in the skimmer to catch any residual that falls out of suspension.
Our sand filter did a great job of clearing the water up after several days and much bsckwashing. So they are a great investment.

I also wanted to add that our well is very high in iron and sat for many years unused until we replaced the pump in 2011. Even after going thru a filter and a self cleaning sand/carbon filter and letting it run for a day watering the yard and getting clear water out of the hose it still turned brownish yellow when I added chlorine to the pool. It probably will never to away. That was 6years ago when we set up the first pool and it's still high in iron today. So much that we opted to turn city water back on just to fill and top off the new pool. Only a water softener or reverse osmosis will get the iron out or down to more manageable levels.

Thanks everyone... the filter cloth I'm running on the second pump is white. So after a few hours of running it turns brown. Same idea of sock and poly fill just easier to work with... I try ed the sock at first.. did not get it tight enough and got sucked in..lol

Any good spots in canada to get a small sand filter?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I ordered my pump filter off of Amazon. If that is an option then it's someplace to start comparing. I bought a Hayward powerflo matrix pump and 22inch sand filter combo on there a few years back. There's lots of other options avail on there as well.

Still cannot get that last little bit off the bottom.. So now im trying to make a jet that i can turn and force the flow to the bottom and keep things stirred up.. Just used a 90% plastic pipe elbow and cut it at the elbow. Going to try drilling some small holes in the top and try to give it the venturi effect?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.