Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can this be repaired or do I need an entirely new pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can this be repaired or do I need an entirely new pool?

Well I was cleaning the property this weekend when I noticed damage to the pool. Is it possible to repair or do I need to start from scratch and replace it with an entirely new one? The kids were looking forward to going in the pool and now it doesn't seem possible. Any and all insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Above ground approx 20-27 ft round pool. I do not have much information because the pool came with the property when we purchased. We were told it needed a new liner which we did get the first year. it had always lost water up to the skimmer. we used it the first few years then it was winterized and covered for a few. when we opened it and removed the pillows the water was still just at the skimmer where it would always go down to.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can this be repaired or do I need an entirely new pool?

You will need to replace that pool. The vertical split will continue once the pool is filled and the pressure of water pushing against the wall will cause it to fail.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ouch! Poor pool. Yes I agree that the split at the skimmer isn't good and will most likely get worse under pressure. Sadly it's integrity has been compromised and it's time for a new one.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is filled up to the bottom of the plastic skimmer. it has been that level for some time now. Does that make a difference at all?
    Above ground approx 20-27 ft round pool. I do not have much information because the pool came with the property when we purchased. We were told it needed a new liner which we did get the first year. it had always lost water up to the skimmer. we used it the first few years then it was winterized and covered for a few. when we opened it and removed the pillows the water was still just at the skimmer where it would always go down to.

5. Back To Top    #5

ok thank you for your reply.
    We hadn't used it in a few years. When we did use it, when we first moved here, it seemed to loose water up to that point of the skimmer but we couldn't figure out why. We winterized and closed it up until this year. We walked along the back of it noticed what you see. That was not like that then but the water level is the same as when we needed to keep refilling it, just below the skimmer.

6. Back To Top    #6

Unfortunately, the pool wall is done and needs to be scrapped. Sad, but it happens.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

7. Back To Top    #7

If the previous owners happened to leave you the paperwork check to see if replacing the wall under the warranty is possible/feasible. I've noticed alot of folks say sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new pool then use the warranty. But it's worth checking out if you've got the paperwork. Hope you're able to get a pool up for the kiddies soon!
    30' Round Doughboy AG (diy install on 8/30/16 after 2 months of rock removal to level area LOL) 200lb Hayward sand filter w/ 1.5 HP pump. TF-100.