New build starting in Sugar Land TX - super excited!

goober71

Jun 20, 2016
Houston TX
Hi All,
Our pool build starts on Thursday! We signed the contract in May, but it took a month to get the HOA approval. The excavators will be here on Thursday! The family is super excited, but a little apprehensive about the mess in the yard for the next 45-60 days!

Our pool:
80 perimeter
Roughly 30x15 freeform
400 sqft with 3.5-6' depth
Tanning ledge with 2 bubblers
Bench in deep end
One 500W light
325 sqft deck (attached to 100 sq ft existing patio)
Raised beam on one side with 1 32" scupper (2x8' 6" high sections and 1x7' 12" high section with scupper)
Travertine coping and acrylic deck
Ultra UV sanitizer
60% quartz interior w/ 7 yr warranty

This will be our first in-ground pool (had an above ground a few years back in our previous house), so it's pretty exciting! Hoping to learn from the veterans on here!

Thanks.

Ro

Welcome to TFP :)

Sounds like a very nice pool.. everyone loves Travertine, it really looks nice around a pool :)

the pool builders in TX are really pushing back on salt water generators and pushing/selling UV systems, the problem is, they work great for indoor pools but you have the sun beating down on your pool so no need for more UV... Did they tell you that you would be able to use less chlorine with it?

Grab a test kit now and test your tap water to see what you will be dealing with once you fill your pool and welcome to the addiction :)

Thanks CowboyCasey. Yes, the PB claims it reduces chlorine usage by up to 50% and the water feels softer on skin. It was $800, so it seemed like a good deal. All 3 quotes I got had a recommendation for the UV unit, so I figured it was important! :)

Hey Ro! Welcome to TFP. :wave: I can hear the excitement in your post - so much fun to read! This is a terrific site, and the experts and experienced people can answer anything!! If they don't know the answer themselves, they will find out or help you find the answer.

The more you read on here you will see that those in the know recommend using basic supplies bought at local stores to keep the water safe and crystal clear. That means bleach from WalMart (or similar) for your chlorine to sanitize the water. Another option to get chlorine is by having a SWG or Salt Water Generator system that makes chlorine. Both are great with pros and cons for each. I have the SWG system. To keep your pH balanced, muriatic acid or borax will do the trick (grocery store or pool store). If you have a plaster finish (not a vinyl or fiberglass), you will want your calcium hardness level up to protect the plaster finish so it will last longer. CYA is another simple ingredient from amazon, WM, or Lowe's/Home Depot which protects your chlorine so it doesn't get used up so quickly when we have lots of sun. You don't need all the expensive multi-chemical powders and solutions the pool store will try to sell you. I just re-read your post and had forgotten you had an AG pool. You may know most of this stuff, but I'm leaving the notes just in case.....)

I wouldn't bother at all with the UV unit. When you get a chance, you can begin reading here to find out more about keeping your water tip-top. The faster your build goes, the sooner you will want to read up on all of this. Others will be along to give you more specifics. I'm still a little new at all this! Lol!!!

We'd love to see some pictures of your design and the before build of your yard. The more info we have, the more help we can be to you.

Congrats on the new addition to the family!!!
Suz :sunny:

Thank you all for the welcome and the useful info. Will see if I can get the PB to switch out the UV for an LED light upgrade and some extra decking instead.
will definitely post pics through the process. Hopefully things go well and at a fast pace!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New build starting in Sugar Land TX - super excited! - Pic updates

Steel and gunite were completed in the last few days. It rained a couple of hours after the gunite was completed, but the PB said that is actually good for it and helps it cure slower for good strength. Amazing how BIG the pool looks!

In order to post more pics you will want to either use a photo sharing website like photobucket or Flikr OR become a TFP Supporter which has other benefits as well. From the website click the Become a TFP Supporter at the top left.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.