New build starting in Sugar Land TX - super excited!

You did it! You really do have a pool AND it has water in it! Could your borrow a neighbors hose??

So do you have your test kit yet? Let us know what your PB gives you so we can help you fill in the holes. The test kit I like the best is in my siggy below. It has more of the regents we use for daily testing.

I am going to share a link with you. Make sure to show this one to your PB as he holds the warranty card!!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Here are some links I share with new pool owners. It is a lot of info so take it slow. It will all make sense as you use it and learn how to care for you new baby.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:kim:

Thanks for the awesome links! i'll read through them and make sure i stick to the maintenance schedule. The PB has asked me to call as soon as the pool is full and he will come out to start it up.
The plaster guys did not remove the pipe stub in the skimmer. Hopefully the PB will do that. They removed all the other stubs and replaced them with the return fittings.
The water is above the first step now. Looks like it's more than halfway done!!

G

So, the pool has been running for a few days now. The PB put in 2 1/2 gallons of Muriatic acid, 2 bottles of scale control solution and 1 container of stabilizer when he opened it. The pump has been running for 24 hours and I've been brushing twice a day.
Got a water test done at Leslie's on Saturday and got the following numbers: FC 0, TC 0, CH 200, CYA 0, TA 90, pH 7
Then i did a test myself yesterday, using the Taylor K-2005 kit the PB provided and got the following: FC 2, TC 2, CH 220, CYA 50, TA 140, pH 7.8

I added chlorine tabs in the chlorinator yesterday, and set it on high, so we'll see if that raises the chlorine. The TA seems higher than needed, is that a problem? If so, how do i lower that?
Will do another test today, to see what the variations are.

Thanks.

G

goober, I do not see a SWG listed for your pool. If you do not have one then your CYA is high enough already. The tablets in the you are using will add more CYA to your water. Use Pool Math towards the bottom to see what each tablet adds to your water.

You need to take the tablets out and start using liquid chlorine now. You need to shop around and see where your best price and ease of obtaining it is. Some people find that Walmart's Greater Value bleach at 8.25% is best for them. Some find their local pool store is the best place for them (11%). Bleach and chlorine are the same thing just different % of active ingredient.

We will work on the TA when all of the others are acting right.

Did you get a chance to start looking at the links I shared in post 42?

:kim:

Thanks kimkats! Yes, i diligently read through the links you had added.
I've tested a couple more times in the last couple of days. Looks like all measurements are within limits, and the water looks really good. I think i'm getting the hang of this "pool maintenance" thing! :)
Here's where they were this morning: FC 3, TC 3, pH 7.5, TA 110, CH 200, CYA 40. The TA still seems a little high, but has been lower everytime i've tested, so hopefully will be in range in a couple of days.
I'm still brushing the plaster twice a day. Does that affect the measurements?
Thanks!!

G

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.