Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting to SWG...need some help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting to SWG...need some help.

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm sure the same friendly experts are around.

So I got the better half to agree to convert to an SWG and got two quotes:
    - Leslies - Jacuzzi J-SS40 (Jacuzzi<sup>®</sup> J-SS40 Salt Chlorinator for Pools up to 40,000 Gallons). Quoted at $1600 installed.
    - Warranty Pool Company - PLC1400. Quoted at $1300 installed.

The Jacuzzi system has a reverse polarity self-cleaning feature. Not sure if it's science or more of a marketing pitch, but I thought I would mention it. So does this self-cleaning feature really work and in your opinion is it worth the extra $300? I can't find any literature on it.

My understanding is the SWG does not need to be connected to the AquaLink...but should it? And if so, what are the pros/cons?

With a gunite IGP plumbed with PVC, is a sacrificial anode needed (heater coils are still metal)?

Chemlink C1900 - I remember posting about a year ago and someone said they were not consistent and somewhat troublesome. Is that still the case? Sometimes I am gone a week or two at a time and need to be able to "dose-from-afar". If I went with the Chemlink system, I would also go with a stenner pump for the MA.

Any help you can lend, would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting to SWG...need some help.

Yes, reverse polarity works, Pentair also has it but it isn't an add. No sacrificial anode is needed. I am very happy with my Pentair Intellichlor. But, the the fan favorite at TFP is the Hayward Aquarite SWG in terms of value. Size your system 2-3 times the gallons of your pool to avoid having to run your pump too long.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Just got another quote for a Hayward Swimpure (T-15) for $1249 installed plus $150 store credit (That's about two years worth of acid since I rarely buy anything else). Any advice?
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yes, reverse polarity works, Pentair also has it but it isn't an add. No sacrificial anode is needed. I am very happy with my Pentair Intellichlor. But, the the fan favorite at TFP is the Hayward Aquarite SWG in terms of value. Size your system 2-3 times the gallons of your pool to avoid having to run your pump too long.
    Thanks for the quick reply! From searching the forums...it looks like the Aquarite is the same system as the Swimpure. Can you (or anyone else) confirm?
    ----

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward T-Cell-15 owner checking in. Can't speak of the others, as the Hayward system is the only one I've ever owned. But I will say I love it from both a performance and ease of use standpoint.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes samething
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, guys. So if this reverse-polarity self cleaning is valid...is it worth the extra $300-400 for the Jacuzzi-branded product? Appreciate all the help...trying to learn the next step in this pool process. I didn't see anything in the Hayward manual that the Aquaswim/rite had that feature.
    ----

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ITR View Post
    Just got another quote for a Hayward Swimpure (T-15) for $1249 installed plus $150 store credit (That's about two years worth of acid since I rarely buy anything else). Any advice?
    With a SWG you'll buy more stabilizer... oh and don't forget the salt!

I am a Hayward SWG user... I've been happy with. On my second cell. Haven't tried anything else.
    20K IG gunite with attached spa, dark plaster and lava rock waterfall, very 90's. Pool equip refit in 2005 with all Sta-Rite cartridge filter, pump, and heater; Polaris sweep; Goldline Controller(Hayward) with T-Cell-15 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

The Hayward reverses polarity with every cycle. Or you can manually do it via the Diagnostic Menu and selecting + or -

I'm not sure what that has to do with self cleaning however. I believe there is a Hawyard expert in this forum. Hopefully he will see this thread and provide insight.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

SwimPure, AquaRite, Goldline, AQR15 are all the same. All of them have the polarity reversing self cleaning feature. Just be sure that it is the 40,000 gallon rated, T-15 (or AQR15) model. I've been using one for over 11 years and if it blew up today, I would order a new one just like it tomorrow. The cost of unit is around $1,000. So your quote of $1249 installed (with a $150 store credit) sounds okay.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the help as always. The better half and I have decided to pull the trigger on this tomorrow. Wish us luck!!

Any comments on the Chemlink (we can add it at a later date). Is it still more trouble than it's worth?
    ----

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I have no personal experience with the Chemlink system, but the general opinion around here is that ORP sensors are not very reliable. If you lower the TA in a pool the pH becomes much more stable and MA additions less frequent. If further pH buffering is still required borates can always be added. I would have some concern about a system that if the sensor failed or was out of calibration could pump a large quantity of MA into a pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks...and it makes sense...although I would hope the engineering behind it would be to fail in a safe direction, I completely get your point. I definitely don't want to damage our investment purely for convenience. Last question:

I've seen some posts where the AquaRite/SwimPure hooked up to an iAqualink requires the Chlorine Translator from Flynn Engineering (last post I found was from 2014). Apparently people were experiencing the SWG functioning being locked out of the iAqualink if it wasn't installed. Is that still the case? If it helps, I am on Rev: T.1 of the RS-8 system Combo system. Looks like the Interface is labeled "AquaLink Touch" and the CPU p/n is "B0029221".

So the question is....do I need to get the Chlorine Translator to monitor the cell from the iAquaLink?
    ----

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I can't help with any questions regarding automation systems. I don't use any automation. I have a very simple system, a variable speed pump that is controlled by its own onboard programming, and a SWG controlled by a separate timer. There are lots of others who have more knowledge re automation. If someone who can answer your question doesn't come along soon, you may try posting questions regarding automation in a different forum category.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ITR View Post
    Thanks...and it makes sense...although I would hope the engineering behind it would be to fail in a safe direction, I completely get your point. I definitely don't want to damage our investment purely for convenience. Last question:

I've seen some posts where the AquaRite/SwimPure hooked up to an iAqualink requires the Chlorine Translator from Flynn Engineering (last post I found was from 2014). Apparently people were experiencing the SWG functioning being locked out of the iAqualink if it wasn't installed. Is that still the case? If it helps, I am on Rev: T.1 of the RS-8 system Combo system. Looks like the Interface is labeled "AquaLink Touch" and the CPU p/n is "B0029221".

So the question is....do I need to get the Chlorine Translator to monitor the cell from the iAquaLink?
    Lets see if I can answer your question. As of Rev T, the Aqualink will lock out all SWGs including their own product, AquaPure. There are some earlier reveision of the AquaRite that when you select AL-5 will simulate the AquaPure, but I believe Hayward has changed that setting to no longer simulate the AquaPure. So, if you wanting to connect your Aqualink to the AquaRite, you can do 4 things. 1) If you have a older version of Aqualink before Rev T, you can use that version and see if your AquaRite when set to AL-5 simulates an AquaPure. If it does then you just switch back to Rev T.1 and you are good. If not, then you need a Chlorinator Translator. 2) You could select AL-5 on your AquaRite and conenct the Aqualink to the Aquarite and just power them up and see if it works. If it does, then you are good. If not then you have locked out all SWGs. I would like to point out that on the Chlorinator Translator website, they indicates that it will unlock your Aqualink, then you would be good. 3) You could just get the Chlorinator Translator and you would be good. 4) You could just do nothing and have to go out to the equipment whenever you wanted adjust or see if there are any issues with the AquaRite.

I hope this has helped you. What you do is up to you.
    Jandy iAqualink RS-8 Rev T, OneTouch, Chlorinator Translator, & AquaRite Rev 1.3