Pump not turning on

Jun 1, 2015
Frederick, MD
Hi - I have a Superpump 1.5 HP and it's about 9 years old. The past two seasons, I have had to have the impeller manually started during startup. After I paid someone twice to do it, I finally learned how to do it myself!

Anyway, this year, during startup, I flipped the on switch and the pump didn't start. Power was still sent to my SWCG but the pump made no noise. Well, it may be making a low hum, but it's much quieter than in years past with the impeller situation.

Question: Is the pump dead? How can I tell for sure without paying a pool company tons of money to come over?

If you are not able to get it going by reaching in from behind the cover and manually turning the motor shaft to break it loose, then it may be time for a replacement. I suppose it might also be related to your capacitor. Some other forum members are quite good about troubleshooting those and testing continuity. Me .. not so much. :)

Add half a gallon of bleach and brush the whole pool. Take a lap around the pool with a paddle/oar if you've got one. 2x4 would work too.

Or buy a cheapo sump pump. Mine cost AU$80 (US$50) and handles dirty water cause I needed that to stop the mosquitoes while I was waiting for plaster.

For circulation, tie a rope to it, plug it in and drop it into the deep end with no outlet hose attached, but outlet turned to point up at a 45 degree angle (holds it from moving around, and also gets the water moving). My rules include - lock the pool gate. no swimming with 115V hanging in the pool.

I also set it on my top step and shoot water to the other end of the pool for aeration (when doing TA reduction). I don't plan to drain ever, but I could use it to help with that.

- - - Updated - - -

250 volt down here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.