Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not turning on

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not turning on

Hi - I have a Superpump 1.5 HP and it's about 9 years old. The past two seasons, I have had to have the impeller manually started during startup. After I paid someone twice to do it, I finally learned how to do it myself!

Anyway, this year, during startup, I flipped the on switch and the pump didn't start. Power was still sent to my SWCG but the pump made no noise. Well, it may be making a low hum, but it's much quieter than in years past with the impeller situation.

Question: Is the pump dead? How can I tell for sure without paying a pool company tons of money to come over?
    16x36 IG 22K Vinyl | Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Sq Ft | 1.5 hp Hayward Superpump | Aqua Collection Turbo Cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not turning on

12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are not able to get it going by reaching in from behind the cover and manually turning the motor shaft to break it loose, then it may be time for a replacement. I suppose it might also be related to your capacitor. Some other forum members are quite good about troubleshooting those and testing continuity. Me .. not so much.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like a bad capacitor. It'll be under the hump on the pump.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

In the meanwhile, the water is growing some wonderful algea. Really nice green stuff. Without the pump running, what's the best way to control to cholorinate without a pump running?
    16x36 IG 22K Vinyl | Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Sq Ft | 1.5 hp Hayward Superpump | Aqua Collection Turbo Cell

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Add half a gallon of bleach and brush the whole pool. Take a lap around the pool with a paddle/oar if you've got one. 2x4 would work too.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Or buy a cheapo sump pump. Mine cost AU$80 (US$50) and handles dirty water cause I needed that to stop the mosquitoes while I was waiting for plaster.

For circulation, tie a rope to it, plug it in and drop it into the deep end with no outlet hose attached, but outlet turned to point up at a 45 degree angle (holds it from moving around, and also gets the water moving). My rules include - lock the pool gate. no swimming with 115V hanging in the pool.

I also set it on my top step and shoot water to the other end of the pool for aeration (when doing TA reduction). I don't plan to drain ever, but I could use it to help with that.

- - - Updated - - -

250 volt down here!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners