Algae Growth - Advice Needed

Guys,

I moved into this house last year in April. It has a rather large pool as you can see in my signature. It is a salt pool with a salt chlorinator installed.

The problem is that I just cannot seem to get rid of the algae! My pool is balanced. I check that regularly! Even with the pool perfectly balanced, those green $@#% keeps on coming back! They grow even in clear water!

I have tried several products on the market, even adding a LOT more salt, but all that does is to remove the problem in the short term. Every three months or so, I have to waste the bottom of my pool with an eight wheeler and start again! The waste about 10,000 liters of water this way! (excessive!) The water does not turn green, but it does become cloudy and that is how I know I have a problem. I am at that point where I will try anything, even urinating on a spark plug! How difficult can it be to keep your water clear all year round?

Does anyone have any advice for me? Will it help if I buy a liquid algae killer and throw that into the water once a month?

Regards,

The only product you need (for now) is bleach, which is liquid chlorine, and a test kit with the FAS/DPD drop test for chlorine. Are you able to get those in Pretoria?

Pretoria is fairly well stocked with swimming pool stuff. Just about every shop has a selection of stuff, because I have learned that pools in this part of the world is quite a big thing. I have found that you can get just about everything that is available in the US over here as well, although some stuff may be a bit hard to find because people do not know about it.

I have two types of dry test kits: The one tests for the standard four elements: Ph, Free Chlorine, Total Alkalinity and Stabilizer. The other tests for Free Cholrine, Brommine, Total Chlorine, Alkalinity, Ph, Total Hardness and Cyanuric Acid. Obviously the first test kid with the four tests will not work, but what about the last one? I also have a wet testing kit, but I will need to see what that will test for. I am willing to buy what ever is needed!

I take it that the test kit is to determine how much bleach is needed?

Regards,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.