Unsure what to do next

rwood5093

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Jamestown, SC
Now that we are done with the Slam, we still have a few numbers out of whack and I'm not sure what to do.

FC is good at 6. Turned SWCG on last night so hopefully it's good to go.

PH was 7.2 from the tap, now it's 7.7 or 7. 8. We added nothing to raise it.
Cya is 60.

CH= 200
TA= 190

The ph and TA confuse me. I see TA is related to PH, but how do I drop the TA drastically without drastically dropping the PH? We had been aerating during Slam and iron removal, buy there was no change.

We have Clorox PH down, which seems to be sodium hydrogensulphate aka sodium bisulphate 90 - 95%. I see some websites that say this is dry acid.

Do I deal with TA, then bring PH back up? Can I work on CH at the same time, or should I wait?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

To lower your TA (which should help keep pH down better) you need to use the acid/aeration method as noted on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Hope that helps. I would continue that method until your TA is closer to the 80-100 range and see how that works. If needed, you can go even lower to 70, even 60 if needed.

Thanks to both of you.

The acid demand test used 6 drops, and the Taylor guide indicated to use 2.3#. I dissolved 2# in a jug, poured it in and measured PH and TA an hour later.

Ph=7, maybe 7.1
TA=150-195. 6 drops turned it pink, 7 drops turned it hot pink/red. I was using the 10ml sample so I multiplied by 25 per the instructions.

So now I'm waiting for the pH to creep back up? Any idea how long this might take? I don't want to test 5x per day if don't have to.

I had set pump on an 8 hour timer. Should I switch back to 24x7 for the aeration until this is taken care of?

Thanks ya'll.

So, we have gone through 5# Clorox PH down, and are going to try the 20 Baume muriatic acid next.

1st application of PH down dropped PH great and the TA by about 25. Next application dropped TA 15 more. Now it's been stuck for 3 days at 150.

PH went down each time then rose to 8, 7.6, 7.6, etc.

My normal routine is to test about 19:00 every day, then we swim and afterwards dissolve the acid and pour it in front of the jet. The pump is on a 12 hour run time. When I test, I use the 10ml sample.

Am I doing something wrong, or can TA just be stubborn?

Something that seems to help many people who get stuck on the TA battle is to let the pH rise all the way to about 7.8 then hit it hard with muriatic acid down to about 7.0-7.2. Getting the most out of that full range of movement seems to help force the stubborn TA to fall a bit more. At some point, remember that for TA there is no perfect number. As long as your pH remains more stable that's the key. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.