CH - test results very different than Leslie's

firehunter

Bronze Supporter
Feb 24, 2016
Houston
So pool is still under PB's care and they had me take the water to Leslie's for testing. CH tested 120, so they had me add 1/2 bucket of calcium hardness to the skimmer. After the 2nd test it was 140. I decided to test myself with the TF-100 and got 375. So why is Leslie's test so much lower? Did I do anything wrong with my testing? I tested a few more times and was within a drop or two each time before it turned blue.

Stay out of the pool store!

300 posts and you haven't come across that mantra?? We use it here 25 times daily.

Trust your TF-100....it is correct. No one cares for your pool like you do. Have faith in your ability....it is also correct.

Have you watched the pool store employee test your water? Or the Pool service employee?

They, in a blizzard rush through the test. Putting drops in so fast its difficult to count.

Rushing through means the drops are often undersized or if the drops turn into a stream over sized.

The fact is they are providing a free service and they do it quickly. So for tests like Calcium Hardness with a great deal of drops, if the drops are the wrong size it can greatly affect the test.

Additionally, anyone who has you add calcium to a new gunite pool is either nuts or lives somewhere where there is none in the water. You Ch level will be rising for the next year and if it rises too much then you have water management issues. The world is not blindly follow a sales printout. They need to explain what it means in the context of your pool. The vast majority of pool store employees are simply incapable of doing that.

I have my eleven year old daughter do all the pool testing. I get two benefits out of this. She is very punctual in her testing. Every Saturday morning. And she is very meticulous about her testing and documentation. I plan to move her on to chlorine and MA additions after she turns 12.

Thanks guys I appreciate the replies. I did not want to go to Leslie's, but since the pool is still under PB's care and wanted the test results I did get the water tested there for them. I will try to do all the tests in the TF-100 in the next say or two. PB wants to do pool school soon and next week will be 28 days, so salt will probably be added then.

How can I ensure the drops are all the same size? The tip has a wider opening than the other bottles and the drops seem smaller.

Thanks guys I appreciate the replies. I did not want to go to Leslie's, but since the pool is still under PB's care and wanted the test results I did get the water tested there for them. I will try to do all the tests in the TF-100 in the next say or two. PB wants to do pool school soon and next week will be 28 days, so salt will probably be added then.

How can I ensure the drops are all the same size? The tip has a wider opening than the other bottles and the drops seem smaller.
Keep the bottle as vertical as possible, and let the drop form, and drop off naturally, don't rush it.

I count drops like I do seconds...... one-one thousand, two-one thousand etc. trying to be about 1-drop per second.

Dom

Dom's got it right. Let that drop "fall" off the tip.....that's the most uniform drop there is. Interestingly, the hole in the tip has little to do with forming the drop, it's the shape of the tip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.