Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crystal Clear pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Crystal Clear pools

A lot of posters describe their pools as crystal clear. I'm not sure what that is suppose to look like. In my mind I invision a colorless body of water that you can see clear to the bottom and throughout the entire pool. In my case, my pool is extremely clear but it always have a hint or shade of blue to it.

Would this shade of blue be caused by the plaster, which is white?

FC 4
    CC 0
    TC 4
    TA 80
    CH 350
    CYA 70
    Salt 3200
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crystal Clear pools

i have an IG liner and you can see heads or tails on a quarter at the bottom of the deep end...to me, that is clear!
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Clean water with the correct chlorine level will look blue. When it is especially clear it has a distinctive kind of sparkle to it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Clean water with the correct chlorine level will look blue. When it is especially clear it has a distinctive kind of sparkle to it.
    Do you see this sparkle when the sun is reflecting off it with a bit of ripple in the water? Mine glistens when the sun is out and there is a bit of movement. But when its cloudy and still there is no shimmer.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I consider my pool crystal clear. The sun was out today when I shot this pic but the pump wasn't running so it's not shimmering like it usually would.

On bright sunny days, my pool shimmers so much, it blinds me!

Here's my pool shimmering on 4/28/09 with pump on. The legs are mine.

One more and then I'll stop. I promise! What can I say, I love my water!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    I consider my pool crystal clear. The sun was out today when I shot this pic but the pump wasn't running so it's not shimmering like it usually would.

So without the ripples it doesn't shimmer quite the same. Phew! i thought i was going to now have to figure out why my pool doesn't shimmer when there are no ripples. lol
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

7. Back To Top    #7

No. I don't think so. If it ripples, it shimmers but it didn't ripple in the first pic.

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow!!! I feel I'm on the right track. We dropped a penny in the pool and was able to make out the letters. At night, with the light on, it was just amazing at how define the letters stood out. Your pools are absolutely beautiful. The leg too. Thanks for clearing it all up for me.
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's my pool shimmering on 4/28/09 with pump on. The legs are mine.

One more and then I'll stop. I promise! What can I say, I love my water!!!
    I would call this sparkley clear...The way it should be!
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks cubbybeave! 5 minutes a day unless you count sweep time. Then it's 30 minutes! <I don't have an automatic sweeper, I push it myself cuz I like to!> 8)

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks cubbybeave! 5 minutes a day unless you count sweep time. Then it's 30 minutes! <I don't have an automatic sweeper, I push it myself cuz I like to!> 8)
    Looks gorgeous!!
    15' ROUND, 52" AG
    Newbie at pool ownership!

12. Back To Top    #12

I find that my auto vac doesn't quite get everything...I like to vaccume the bottom by hand too...This way i know I got everything.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    I find that my auto vac doesn't quite get everything...I like to vaccume the bottom by hand too...This way i know I got everything.
    We don't even own an auto vac. My son goes in with his flippers, mask and snorkel and does the cleaning manually....he LOVES it....
    15' ROUND, 52" AG
    Newbie at pool ownership!