Getting "keys to the pool" next week

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
I take possession of my new home/first pool a week from today. I had the pool inspected during the purchase process, but I haven't had a discussion with the seller.

I think he's most comfortable with texts, so I plan to ask him some simple questions such as:

- when was the last time he flushed the sand filter
- if he plans to leave a test kit behind. If so what kind/what condition?
- recent test results
- name of his pool care company / supplier

Do those make sense? Should I add or change any?

Congratulations!!

- when was the last time he flushed the sand filter don't bother, just backwash (deep clean) yourself when you take possession. See article in Pool School
- if he plans to leave a test kit behind. If so what kind/what condition? don't bother, just order your own so you can trust it TFTestkits.net
- recent test results little to no value in his or pool store testing, unless this is a condition of the sale
- name of his pool care company / supplier good question, but see below

You don't mention the pool style or equipment. I would ask age or replacement of liner, pump, filter (and sand), etc. Just know, that he may be hesitant to tell you of any problems including his pool service. They may be more willing to share his struggles then he is.

It doesn't matter how old the sand is because sand never goes bad. No reason to change the sand. However, you may have to deep clean the filter and inspect the laterals as mentioned by pool tool. But, you probably want to to know the age of the filter.

The filter pre-dates the previous owner. By the look of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it's original from 1972?
y3mgGEXV-vCnEs29b2fdzoNDvgA7vTZdBEpzf4R0gCSzNE_-hnOAkAuuEaMmiCKeIwkB5WREDJT8pSJZ0upVBsjcTk7tfqnKIUhbXMGnsRd1FFKedfnMEG7ed4G6GOyjbNvQo3C6_MWTS8TXNHbQs4Wbiyn-wvXHI3c30iB_aSiNRQ

Attachments

• pool filter.JPG
    pool filter.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 64
Re: Getting "keys to the pool" next week

Definitely whatever information you can get about the age of each of the components and the company that did the work will be helpful. We'll be able to tell immediately from your first valid test results how the water upkeep was.

I just had a very similar situation with everything looking okay at first, but as soon as I did my own test, I found CYA levels over 200! If there are containers of 3" pucks like most people use, that is a definite possibility to watch out for!

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized while reading some other threads that I don't know how to distinguish a sand filter from a DE filter by just looking at it, so I should stop sand until I know more.

Based on the appearance of this relic, should I budget for a new filter?

I'm not an expert on this but were DE filters even around in the 70s? Every DE filter I've seen has had the same two-part construction as a cartridge filter, with a top and a bottom connected by a radial clamp around the middle. I'm sure somebody else will be able to tell you exactly what make and model that beast is, though.

I received a folder that the owner who built our pool had. It had manuals, pool design prints, and permits that had been approved when the pool was built.

That would be awesome, but probably too much to hope for in my case. This pool was built as part of the home and in fact, in the center of the home. There have been numerous owners and even a foreclosure. The seller has mentioned Leslie's, so maybe they have info to share.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm looking down that barrel too. :pale:

Not a surprise though. When I first viewed the home, the pump was off and the pool was so cloudy I couldn't see the bottom. I asked for the pump to be running for the inspection, which revealed a leaking pump and a chipped floor surface.

Mine was a puck fed cloud too...cya 300 + (he told me to put 3 pucks in the skimmer every week!!)
and the previous homeowner had used rubber radiator hoses with clamps for the filter....I asked him why
he did that and not unions and he said "so the pump can be removed and serviced." LOL

He also showed me how to backwash but never did the rinse cycle, when sand spewed in from the returns
for a few seconds he said "that's normal."

I would keep the sand filter you have.

If any/all the equipment works, no need to waste money as I'm sure you'll be spending quite a bit for the move.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.