Swim Spa pump/heat solution?

GBay

Jun 20, 2016
Collingwood, ON
Hi all,

Brand new here and to the world of pool ownership. I have recently purchase a home and with it inherited a 7' x 14' "swim spa". I have talked with the local pool supply folks who have a familiarity with the pool and describe it as a "Franken-tub" that was installed by the owner previous to the person I bought the home from. Sounds like the fellow who installed the pool was in the pool industry and seems to have assembled the system using what he could find and perhaps a plan he had in his head.

Here are the nuts a bolts;
  • 7' x 14' above ground (sitting on cement slab which is about 36" below grade) pool with vinyl liner
  • 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump
  • Hayward S116T sand filter
  • Laars Lite 2 Heater
  • A swim spa current generating motor (I am not really interested in using this feature)
  • A secondary smaller pumping/filter system which is below grade and in non-functioning condition (not really sure what/why this was for)

The pool has been rather neglected for the last few year as the most recent owner was "not a pool person". I have managed to repair some broken pvc lines, given it a cleaning, replace a few small parts and got it up and running.

So, after the lengthy preamble...here is the question.

I have just ordered a spa cover for this and plan to attempt to run the unit year round (we live in a ski area). What should I be doing to keep the water circulating to avoid freezing (location is South Georgian Bay in Ontario, Canada). The current pump has only one speed (and runs a little high on the psi side at 20). I don't think the current pump is the right solution.

I have found this pump through another forum post - Doheny's Above Ground 2-Speed Pumps for Sale - Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Is this a realistic solution? Running the pump on low almost 24/7 and on high for filtering a few hours a day?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

you have the perfect solution, that smaller pump / filter is ran 24/7 to heat and keep the spa clean, the 1.5 hp and swim current generator are only used when you want bubbles, or current :)

I have a 1/8 hp pump connected to a 100 sq ft filter and a 6KW heater, I am not sure a 6KW heater would be enough to keep it 102 all the time but it may...

this is my pump and it has been running 5 years straight Amazon.com: Waterway Iron Might Pond Pump 115 Volt # 3410030-1E: Home Improvement

I don't have a pic of the pump but here you can see the top of my heater and the SWG I installed :)

cpZNqzAh.jpg

Thanks cowboycasey,

So the system I found under grade with its own filter and pump might have been used just for circ. Makes sense. That being said, rather than try to revive that system (it's pretty pooched), could I add a 2 speed pump like the one in my link and achieve the same thing? Set the timer to run the low setting all day and then have the high setting come on for 1-2 hrs per day (whatever is needed to keep the water clear).. Does that makes sense?

GBay

Also, to be clear. The system flow is as such - skimmer>pump>filter>heater>return.

My concern in keeping the flow running through this system is that the Laars heater is outside and the lines that run to it will freeze pretty quick (2 hours) in my climate with no flow.

you can use that pump with no issues, your just using way more power than needed, you really will never need the high side of the pump on unless you are in the spa, the low will move plenty of water to keep it heated and the lines from freezing :)

I have 2, 2 HP, 2 speed pumps on my tub that are just used when in it, the 1/8HP is used all the time, 24/7

hmmmm, I am not sure on that one... mine is skimmer>1/8 pump>filter>heater>saltwater generator>return then suction in wall>2HP pump>jets and separate suction in wall>2HP pump>jets

now that I think about it, the problem will be trying to push 1.5 HP through a running 1/8 HP pump or trying to pull 1.5 HP though a 1/8 HP pump, it will not like it if it works at all

Ya, agreed. That was my concern. That was why I was thinking perhaps the 2 speed pump would work. Not a big deal. You have corroborated the theory so thanks for that. I'll run a 2 speed pump 24/7 and schedule the high speed only for shock or bubbles.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.