Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown Specs In Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown Specs In Pool

ok so my wife decides to clean the tile at the top of the pool (inside the pool) area with a steel wool pad. tile looks great! but a few days later I noticed a lot of brown specs all around the edges of the pool where cleaning occurred mostly. so I figured (still do)it was rust from the wool pad. next I shut of the generator and let the fc down to under 1ppm. took 2 days. then treated it with aa. probably 2-4 lbs if I had to guess. I bought a 50 lbs box years ago. I have had brown staining before and the aa took if off within minutes. well this time it didn't touch the specs. I even put of glob of it right over top of some and nothing? I have some pics and will post my specs. any help much appreciated!! sorry if this was covered and I missed it.

fc 3.5 (before lowing to treat with aa)
    cc 0
    ph 7.6-7.7
    ta 100
    ch 280
    cya 35-40

20000 gal in ground fiber glass with swg
    thanks, rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22K IG. 250 lbs sand filter. SWCG. Fiberglass.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Brown Specs In Pool

Your old box of AA may have degraded, especially if it was stored in a shed or garage. Get some generic vitamin C tablets, crush them, and tie them up in a sock or handkerchief and lay them on the stains. If that works throw out the old AA and get some fresh to remove the stains.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks for the reply. 2 things: 1 I read that aa in a fine granular form stored in a dry(not humid) atmosphere at temps between 50-80 deg should be good for 42-48 months. Mine is maybe 24-30 tops. 2nd two. Weeks ago i used it in one of my neighbors pool for all over brown staining and it worked like always. Gone in almost minutes. Completely clean by next day. Just not sure how to attack this problem. I know it's metal but not like I've had before. Thanks Rick

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

If you know it's metal but it's not iron, what do you think it is?

There's not much else from which to chose that I can think of.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree. Iron from the steel pad right? Try more aa treatment? I just afraid I'm going to loose the pool to alge. I'm in nc and it's very hot and humid here.