Time to Rant........

I started this thread to rant my in-laws pool and its gotten hilarious with all the comments. Now some good news. Monday, my mother in law called me and said....and i quote...."We cant get this "blank" pool clear, can you help us.?"

I said....Why, yes, Yes i can. lol They are on day 4 of their SLAM right now. Pool is crystal clear, no CCs but they keep losing FC overnight for some reason. They keep wanting to stop because the "pool has looked cleaner and clearer than it has in the last 10 years", and they cannot understand why they need to keep SLAMming. What did I get myself into???? lol I gave them my test kit and and said test it every 4 hours. Keep the FC at 20. They tested at noon yesterday and were at a 15. I told them how much chlorine to add. I called back at 4 to ask what the numbers were. Her response.....Well, the pool was so clear, we decided to go swimming, then we vaccumed and backwashed and got some lunch. We didnt put any extra in it till about 20 mins ago.....
I just wanted to say...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, WHY DONT YOU LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! lol

OH well, at least they asked for help. This SLAM might take forever.....hahahaha

Oh yeah, i told them how i opened my pool this year by putting stabilizer in a sock to get my CYA to about 40. She used her test strips and said her CYA was at 20. They bought 4 lbs of it and put 1lb in a sock and let it dissolve.....BEFORE i tested it. When i got up there to test it, the CYA was already gone and the CYA was at a 45-50 already. Hopefully they didnt put it up too high. They have been back washing like crazy the last few days and had to add a few inches of water yesterday....So that will help.

SCORE one for the good guy!

Can you go over there with a toothbrush and screw driver? Take out their light (if they have one) and scrub their returns and skimmer box as well as steps and such.

"looks better that it ever has in 10 years!" SWEET words to hear I bet!

Kim:cat:

So glad I found this site 4 years ago.

I made up a pool manual on how to maintain my pool as I am out of town for a month at times, included several links to this site. The son in law helps out when I am gone.

I always agree when people tell me it is a lot of work to keeping a pool sparkling clean, and thank you when I get the now standard wow your water......

A big Thank You to all the people here at TFP, saving me money and work = more time for swimming ;)

That's awesome!

I am a newbie since this is my 1st summer with my pool. My water looks incredible and it takes almost no effort to keep it that way using the methods y'all have taught me.

I have a buddy that has had a pool for years and is in a constant struggle and spends a fortune at pool stores but refuses to listen to anything I say AFTER he asks how my pool looks so nice. He just must be brainwashed so I give him advice and refer him here if he asks questions that are over my head then listen to his wife complain when their pool is green (again). A never ending cycle.

I was already a snob about my fishkeeping hobby, which has a very similar dynamic of doing things the pet store way, or doing things the proper way. Now I'm in the same boat with my pool. Luckily I don't know anyone else with a pool to debate proper pool care, but my friends and family have commented on how crystal clear my water always is and how clean it feels. Then they make fun of me for being a snobby nerd for always doing an excessive amount of research on all my hobbies when I try to explain to them how I take care of it. I am a fish/wine/cigar/coffee/pool snobby nerd to them. But they love my pool.
For a minute thought i replied to this thread already....this sounds exactly like me as i have 3 aquariums in the house , a land scape pond and the above ground pool. I have had people ask me if there is water in the aquariums....for anyone that knows me if someone opens a door you can bet I'm going to slam it on you...so i usually tell them....nope no water the fish are flying around in there lol.

Ha! I just opened up my app to write about the nasty pool at the Holiday Inn I just came from! I wanted to take a picture of it to post but there were people in it and that might be weird. They wouldn't realize I was taking a picture of the water, not their kids in their swimsuits. :gross:
I wanted to run in there with a test kit and a speed stir and yell at them all to run for their lives. I seriously hope no one gets sick there.

Then my wife sends me a pic of mine...

8eb95fe7f498453567af9d17fbe06ea9.jpg

That is after an 8 kid party yesterday.

Yep, I'm infected with the TFP bug too! BEST INFECTION EVER.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Swimmer's Ear type drops are an equal mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The alcohol acts to dry the ear, but the vinegar being acidic makes the ear less hospitable to cooties.

Equal parts, a couple of drops in each ear when done swimming. Works a charm!

Had to laugh to myself here when I read the comments about people's reaction to "bleach" as opposed to "liquid chlorine". Why? Even my wife hit me with "they want you to use WHAT?" So, I told her that instead of using bleach that this site also suggested "liquid chlorine" her reaction was much more positive "Well, THAT sounds more like it!"......So, when do I tell her???:snorkle: Oh, and the other day, she looks at me and says "The pool has never looked this good!". Guess some things TFP'ers will have to keep to themselves!

I'd put a bottle of "liquid chlorine" on the table next to a bottle of "bleach" and ask her to describe the difference. I don't believe in perpetuating the idea that they're somehow different. Tell the kids its a basic chemistry lesson!

Swimmer's Ear type drops are an equal mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The alcohol acts to dry the ear, but the vinegar being acidic makes the ear less hospitable to cooties.

Equal parts, a couple of drops in each ear when done swimming. Works a charm!
Depends on the brand. This one's 95% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in a 5% glycerin base.

Amazon.com: Auro-Dri Ear Drying Aid, 1 oz.: Health Personal Care

After I bought this, I realized I paid about as much for this 1 oz bottle as I pay for a 32 oz bottle of rubbing alcohol! It's like going to the pool store!

Maybe glycerin is really expensive...

We just bought a big bottle of alcohol while on vacation plus a couple droppers for less than the little 1oz ear drops ... We do not trust the resort pool water, it has been slightly cloudy since we have been here. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.