Time to Rant........

I see it is time to buy them a present! Their own test kit. Included with the present is you showing them how to do the tests!!!! Oh a few gallons of "pool shock" LOL

Kim:cat:

My best friend and fellow Navy Master Chief just retired and returned to NY....that was going to be my house warming present LOL.
I decided to wait until he is ready though...

I checked my SIL's PH this morning and texted her it was low. Her reply "it's okay, I added alkalinity up, that should take care of it. My chlorine is really high." Her daughter said they couldn't swim today because the chlorine was 11. Her last pool store ready said the CYA was a round 60. There's no use trying to explain it again...... I can't take my cover off my pool, I'll have all of their kids at my house, ha ha.

right up there with those saying they can only swim in a SWG because they don't like/allergic to/can't stand chlorine.

I have a friend who loves to swim in our pool because there's no chlorine, just salt, and it doesn't burn her eyes. I tried to explain it the first half dozen times. Now I just nod.

My buddy who has owned a pool 5yrs longer then me is always having issues. Last year his pool was super cloudy. I went over tested his water, told him he had no chlorine needed to slam and get a real test kit. Told him about TFP and whatever of my new fo7nd knowledge I could share. He didn't listen, his pool was cloudy the rest of the year.

This year comes around and he tells me he's fixed the issue. The issue all along was his Ionizer needed a new cell. About 2 weeks after the pools open its cloudy again. He tells me it's phosphates and of course he's got the pool store solution to fix it

I feel bad for the guy but he don't listen. I never give advice to him anymore.

It's strange how close minded folks can be. The ideas we teach are so simple yet, for 11 years now, I watch their eyes glaze over when I talk about accurate testing and staying out of the pool store.

I'm sorry (okay, not really), but this thread made me laugh. I agree, Dave. People are close minded. This forum has saved me so much time, money and headaches. For example, I used to be cleaning my filter every few weeks. When I friend said he only cleaned his a couple of times a year since his pressure remained constant, I was shocked. Researched it on here and found out he was right.

I was already a snob about my fishkeeping hobby, which has a very similar dynamic of doing things the pet store way, or doing things the proper way. Now I'm in the same boat with my pool. Luckily I don't know anyone else with a pool to debate proper pool care, but my friends and family have commented on how crystal clear my water always is and how clean it feels. Then they make fun of me for being a snobby nerd for always doing an excessive amount of research on all my hobbies when I try to explain to them how I take care of it. I am a fish/wine/cigar/coffee/pool snobby nerd to them. But they love my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've given up trying to tell anyone about TFP. The few people I did mention it to said that they followed the pool store advice and have never had a problem. I guess they've been lucky. I just keep my mouth shut about anything to do with my pool as my friends think I'm a bit obsessive about it. OCD much? :hammer:

We're going to be renting a vacation house in the Florida keys in a couple of weeks and it will take everything in me to not bring my test kit.

I had a friend over last weekend from out of town.
While swimming, she asked how on earth I'd managed to find a way to have crystal clear water without chlorine.

I told her not only did I have chlorine, but I had LOTS of chlorine!

She said "No way, I normally can't stay in a pool this long. I can't smell a thing and the water's silky."

I explained the TFP method.

Proofs in the pudding, eh?
That's exactly what I get from guests in my pool. Nobody stinks like chlorine when they get out. I don't dare tell them I use *gasp* bleach.

I tried suggesting bleach to friends to clear their murky, cloudy pool. After their astonishment about using bleach, they said they didn't want to use chlorine because their kids have sensitive skin. Their pool store suggested they use 'Lithium', which was really Lithium Hypochlorite. The pool store also told them that is why they never have any FC in their pool, because 'Lithium' isn't chlorine, it won't show up on tests. :scratch:

I'll never cease to be surprised by the amount of people that seem to prefer bacteria to chlorine.

My son swam in our pool for a month with no ill effects. Two days in a row of swimming in the neighbor's pool, he has an ear infection starting. Same thing happened last year, too. I should have known better. Last year I thought maybe it was swimming too close to bedtime, then laying down with wet ears. He hasn't gone past 8:00 so far.

I just plain got lucky. I bought a home with a pool that had been closed for 2 years. It didn't bother me even though I never had a pool before. I figured I'd do just fine with one of the local pool stores... opened the pool and got down to it. Pool store testing was free! Chemicals were expensive!! On my 3rd trip to the store I got very different advice from two different clerks on the same test results. I smelled something foul and left ever to return.

I know just enough chemistry to understand chlorine and bleach are the same, the test was Greek to me.

I found TFP and educated myself. In a short time I had my pool safe to swim in, and I knew it was safe and I could PROVE it!

Others have visited and all remark about no chlorine etc. Some are interested in how but think it's too hardto do, others simply think I'm BSing them to keep a secret.

Some secret... it's all here, it's not hard, and thank you to you all!

This is a great thread! I usually buy my bleach 16 gallons at a time and often get the question "what do you do with all that bleach?" I gave up trying to tell them the real reason now I just say "I like really really white clothes". Might I suggest a Pool Snob t-shirt be made for all those like ourselves?

I like the T-shirt idea! A buddy of mine was telling me about his brother bemoaning the fact that it was time again to open the pool. That meant another $200.00 at least at the pool store. I told him it cost me $13.00 for CYA, $13.00 for a case of chlorine and 3.99 for Super Washing Soda. Upon opening I tweaked the Ph and raised the chlorine level. Cheap AND easy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.