Pentair EasyTouch Relays Low Voltage Circuit Breaker

Jun 20, 2016
Marianna, Fl
We have a Pentair EasyTouch 8 control system for our in-ground pool and this past weekend, following a fairly severe electrical storm, neither the filter nor cleaner pump was working. When I went to investigate I found that the only apparent problem was that the low voltage circuit breaker that is labeled "Relays" was open. I was able to close the circuit breaker but it would click back open within a few seconds. I've searched the forums as well as on-line but didn't find either a troubleshooting post or similar problem in either location. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

This is the CB that supplies the coil voltage to the 8 relays in your main panel. The coil from each relay gets connected to the back of the main PCB, which just tilts down so you can get to it. My suggestion would be to unplug all of the relays from the main PCB and see if the CB will reset. If it does, then plug the relays back in one at a time until you find the one popping the CB.

If the CB still pops when all the relays are unplugged, then I would suspect the main PCB has failed.

Jim R.

Thanks a lot, Jim.

I finally had time to get back to my unit this evening and tried as you suggested and the CB still popped with all relays unplugged.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new PCB.

I really appreciate the direction as I've tried to call the folks who installed the controller and they're slammed just now. At least I know direction to go with the repair.

Chuck

That is a good question regarding warranty. Unfortunately my dealer seems to be too busy to even come out to check it out. I didn't much in the way of documentation when it was installed. I've gone ahead and purchased a replacement motherboard/PCB for the unit and installed it this evening. That has fixed the issue with relay breakers, however I can't seem to get the variable speed filter pump to work. I did get the Polaris to run and it first ran when I turned on the filter pump. Realizing that I'd switched the jumpers at some point in testing, I switched them and now Polaris runs when cleaner is turned on. I checked the pump motor and it is getting power but doesn't want to run. We also have a heat pump and it will run but since there's no water flow, there's not much purpose in letting it run. Is there something specific I need to reprogram the unit to get the main filter pump to run? Nice to get all the trash off bottom of pool, but with no circulation, the pool isn't really functional.

Jim, thanks again for your early assistance at that led me to the repair, or at least 75% of a repair so far ;-)

What Pool Clown said. Basically you have to tell your EZ-Touch you have a VS pump as well as assign speeds to the main circuits for it to run, like pool and spa etc. In the settings menu there's a line item called Intelliflo. First enter there and toggle the one you have. I believe the options are VS, VF and VSF. You most likely have a VS. Then you need to go to the assign speeds line and enter different speeds for the circuits you need. I usually set 4 speeds as a cookie cutter setting. Pool 2550RPM, mainly to run the Rainbow 300 chlorinator. Spa would be maxed out at 3450rpm. I set one for freeze as well at 1000rpm and the last one for when the cleaner runs, usually at 2800rpm. Be sure to also designate the cleaner as a "Master Cleaner" in the circuit function menu to not allow it to run w/o the filter pump running in pool mode.

GL!

Thank you for all the suggestions. No, I first hadn't set up the unit to know it is a VS pump. I finally got to it early enough this afternoon to get through to the tech support at Pentair. Tech was very patient and helpful and all the settings seem to be correct now. However, the VS pump keeps wanting to say that the priming is dry. At Pentair Tech's recommendation I put a water hose down through the skimmer and filled the line and pump basket completely. Made sure my gasket was supple and added some lubricant. But to no avail. The Easy Touch also recognizes (thinks) that priming isn't working. I'm getting the feeling that there's an issue with the pump, but since it's getting power to give me the error on screen, I can't understand why it will no kick in. Communication between the EasyTouch and VS motor seems to be correct as if not the error message couldn't get to the wireless control. Any thoughts/suggestions are really appreciated. This forum has been very helpful!!

Do you have the SVRS version of the VS pump? What happens when the pump first tries to come on? Does it pull a lot of air into the pump pot? If everything appears to be running fine eventually after the air is removed you can try to disable the prime feature on the pump to see if that helps.

In service mode press the menu button on the pump touchpad, scroll down to priming and press select. Press select again on enable and then down to disable then hit enter. You should then be able to return the EZ-Touch to auto mode and see if the pump starts and runs fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Joel, thanks for the response and questions.

No, I don't have the SVRS version of the VS pump.

The pump never engages so it pulls nothing, neither air or water into the pump pot.

I disabled the prime feature and the screen on the pump in Service mode acts like it is running but does not engage the mechanical pump. The screen on the pump seems to believe it is running normal and I tried all of the 4 default speed options and screen thinks it is running in each speed/mode however there still is no suction.

I've run water through pool skimmer directly to the pump and the pot runs over with the lid off and no leakage with lid on so I'm fairly certain that the pump should be working since it has water and no leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.