Good morning all,
With the help of TFP, I've already taken the pool a long way from where it was. Here is what I've managed to do so far:
- Bring it (chemically speaking) to the proper levels. 200 lb. of salt!
- Deep clean the sand filter
- Removed more leaves and bugs than I thought were possible out of the skimmer filter
- Gave the entire pool a good scrub
- Pulled a plastic grocery bag out of the main return drain in the pool
- Cleared out the main drain line (and skimmer too, just to be safe, although it didn't need it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqBDUipHyJY
- Cleaned the SWG and removed the calcium buildup
Thank you for all of the help so far! I do have a few remaining questions that I'm hoping I can get some help with:
- I'm having a hard time determining the construction of my pool. Someone suggested that it might be gunite, but how can I tell for sure?
- The PoolMath page says that I need to lower my TA by aerating. From researching on the internet, it appears that they go into the fitting where the eyeball return valves go. Do the eyeballs come out completely? If so, how do you remove them?
- I've been taking my water samples to Leslie's pool and having them test it for me. As a newbie, it's nice to have the "add 16 oz. of this..." type of directions. Now that it's stable I think I'm ready to start testing and monitoring myself. Is this the right test kit to get? http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html
- My main drain line was clogged because the cover is broken. As far as I can tell, this is the cover that is on there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111085019834 . The problem is, I can't find a replacement anywhere. Is there a black market for these somewhere? Or, better yet, can I replace the whole thing somehow without draining the pool?
- I mentioned that I did a deep cleaning on my sand filter. But I need to clarify, the sand and water coming out looked a lot better, but after an hour was still not completely clear. I didn't know how clean to make it, how long should I keep going?
- Does the pressure sensor on the filter go on the inlet or the outlet? It seems to me that you would want to monitor the inlet pressure in case it got backed up, but whoever installed it put it on the outlet. With that being the case, would I want the pressure to be higher?
- The O-ring between the sand filter and the inlet valve does not fit very well and consequently it leaks. How do I go about getting the right one? (It's a Praher Multiport Valve, no model number that I can find)
- It looks to me like I've got an older version of this pool skimmer. However, it works for a few minutes, then gets stuck somewhere in the middle of the pool. I leave it on because I think it helps circulation, but I'd like to get it fixed. Any thoughts on why it might just work for a little bit and then stop? http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Baracuda-G3-Suction-Side-Cleaner-PLUS-In-Line-Leaf-Catcher/W03000.htm? Cleaning%20Area=Floor%20Walls%20and%20Waterline&Pool%20Surfa ce=All%20Surfaces&Booster%20Pump=Not%20Required&Installation %20Type=Residential&Product%20Type=pool-cleaner&Pool%20Cleaner%20Type=Suction%20Side&Pool%20Type=In% 20Ground&Cord/Hose%20Length=36ftcord&Manufacturer=Baracuda&xzm2=&ecmpid=aw _pla_search_G3-SINGLE&adtype=paid&gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYrmemwWvNiswZpxEv0K0KSgnnOmdd5D23DF-jA5t1e5RoCG8Xw_wcB
Thank you so much for any help that you can provide!