Pool looks clear, passes OCLT, but still see a few fresh young swimmer bugs?

Cain

Aug 27, 2015
West Fargo, ND
Last year I had a good battle going with Algae because of the new to us pool.

Totally new to pools, bought a house with one, and of course now green ... - Page 3

I was going to keep the pool water from last year but due to a plumbing issue I needed to drain the pool so I have a fresh fill here this year.

My levels other than the FC and CC I am testing are the following:

CH = 100
TA = 150
CYA = 30
PH = 7.5 to 7.6ish

I did the OCLT test a few days in a row here and have seen drops of 1.0 or less on the FC. my FCs started at 3.5, and CCs always 0.5, no more.

My last one I am not sure how accurate it will be as it started at 2 and went down to 1.0, but CC still at 0.5 .

I noticed yesterday little white particulates on the surface of the water that I believe are a signs of dead algae, and I have some sediment similar to pics I posted in my original problem thread on the bottom of the pool that the filter isn't picking up (I am getting some filter socks in soon here to see if that helps). Unfortunately I am having issues getting a vaccuum setup to work so I am kind of just doing the brush method for now till I figure that out too.

At this point, I am curious if I have an algae problem or is it normal that a few bugs will stop by the water for a dip?

Welcome back, Cain. I'm a but concerned that your FC at 2 was to low to begin with for your cya, the it dropping a full point overnight. Use the [fc/cya][/FC/cya] to bring your FC up to target then do another OCLT, and generally speaking, be sure not to drop below the min. On the chart going forward ;)

I noticed yesterday little white particulates on the surface of the water that I believe are a signs of dead algae
That sure doesn't sound like algae. Thank you for posting those numbers.....that really helps paint an accurate picture.

So, algae is not white - dead or alive. Floating on the surface is not a characteristic either.

I would suggest you elevate your chlorine to double the value on the FC/CYA chart (probably about 8 ppm) and hold it there for 24 hours. That should clear up your pool visually and get rid of any chance of an algae outbreak. Then let you FC come down to normal but monitor your FC a bit more carefully so you don't let it slip below minimums.

Cool thanks!

slowly but surely I am getting the pool back to what it should be. The previous owner had a different take on doing things but since the pool came with the house free versus them selling it (um, I could do that part lol) the stuff I am replacing / fixing isn't too bad.

I'll give that a shot to bring up the FC and go from there. I am just hopeful to get some skimmer socks in soon to see if that helps with what I am seeing in the pool.

I may even do a SLAM session as well, just need to wait to be able to do it right here.

I'll get some pics too and see if I can get a better shot of the issues.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered some socks so will see how they go and ordered these too.

So I did my night test here and I am at these levels:

FC - 3.0
CC - 0.5
TC - 3.5
CYA - 40 (I put a tad too much of the solution in the bottle, how would that affect readings? ex- reads higher,)

I am going to raise the pool to shock levels and see how it goes. Saw only a few swimmers again.

Anyone got tips on killing those things?

well, I am not sure what happened when I went to do my shock levels, maybe my pool math calculations were not updating right on the website but I got my shock level up to like 20 when I checked it this morning, so:

FC - 20
CC - 1.0

I let it go and kept the filter running. Wife called around 2:30 Central and checked and it was down to FC of 10 so the kids are going in.

Not sure if I should see that much drop with a CYA at I think 40 but not sure.

I am hoping when those aqua socks come in and I order another scrubber I can get the bottom fully clear.

Saw only a few swimmers again.

Anyone got tips on killing those things?

grab your net, scoop them out (they are fast!) then lay it down on the ground and step on them.

I don't think it's your pool chemical levels attracting them, they like water. I had a few in my pool
they flew in right after I took the cover off.

I was netting then releasing them (they fly too) but then they would come back. on the last day
i had them I had killed 8.

If they do get in it's usually before the afternoon heat arrives.

Pretty sure they're harmless but my niece was scared of them.

Have not seen any since.

cool thanks. I have heard that they are attracted to algae so I have been working hard to kill anything there. I heard of the soap in the water method that I guess breaks the surface tension of the water or something to that effect and they basically drown. I did that last year and it did work, but now I have been just scooping them out and putting them into a soapy water bath that does the same thing.

my skimmer socks came in, the official ones lol and I'll be giving those a shot. Am I correct they just go on the skimmer, should they go on the pump basket at all?

I did check it again this evening to get a night time level check and I am at this:

FC - 9.0
CC - 0.5 (if that , it was REALLY REALLY FAINT)

I am going to leave it as is tonight and check loss in the morning.

Few swimmers in there, but nothing like last year that's for sure.

I also added the skimmer sock too, reminds me of the wraps I used on my hair when I had more lol.

well, FC went to 7 so I am going to try the test again tonight as I thought that I had pulled the puck floater but I forgot so I am assuming maybe it was more. I also waiting till the sun was almost down, but maybe I need to wait till its actually dark. CCs were super faint though for a .5 rating.

I am thinking what i am seeing in the pool may be silt or whatever as when I didn't run the filter over night, there was barely anything in the water and my daughter mentioned when she was in the water the bottom isn't like perfectly smooth, kind of grooved so maybe the skimmer sock plus filtering will get that tiny stuff up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.