Help with selecting the right equipment for first time pool owner

hawks

May 7, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
I need some opinions on equipment and existing landscape. We have a young Chinese Elm that will be about 4' from water. Are we asking for trouble if we leave this tree in place. If the tree must go can you suggest something to replace it with that would provide a canopy of shade without the mess or a damaging root system?
The pool size will be roughly 28x16 strait line play pool (14,000 gal) with tanning ledge and 2 bubblers
Hayward Equipted
Aquarite salt system with pro logic P4
525ft filter (C5030)
Variable speed Tristar
1.5 hp booster pump for cleaner
Polaris 280
2x colorlogic accent lights
2.5 suction line with 2" return and 2" cleaner line

I like what I see from the robots and am half tempted to forgo the booster pump and side cleaner, but I'm not sure this is a good idea with maintaining leaves on the surface.

Any thoughts and suggesting on equipment that should be added or removed would be helpful.

I would tend to go with the smaller 1.5 HP Max-Flo VS (there are 2 version a basic one, and one that will interface with automation systems, I would pick the one that works with automation systems and has control relays, now in 3rd generation with 2 line text display controller)

I am very pro-robot so would tend to say ditch the pressure side cleaner and the booster pump, others feel differently.

That thought hit me right away too. A robot should cost less than the Polaris, its pump, piping and installation.

Down here, people with huge gum trees in their area go with the Polaris booster cleaner because it can handle the giant hard leaves (often 10" long), but otherwise you don't see them much. There's a good write-up here at TFP: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners

Should I go ahead and have them run the piping for the cleaner if one wanted to add a pump at a later time? Any thoughts on keeping the elm tree? It drops small leaves.
That thought hit me right away too. A robot should cost less than the Polaris, its pump, piping and installation.

Down here, people with huge gum trees in their area go with the Polaris booster cleaner because it can handle the giant hard leaves (often 10" long), but otherwise you don't see them much. There's a good write-up here at TFP: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners

Dont forget to add an auto pool water level filler and overflow drain to the shell. Many times the builders will tell their clients to not install them but it is a PITA manually adding water each day in the summer without one. (I suspect most builders have them in their own pools and steer people off them because a licensed plumber must be used to connect to the water supply adding hassle to the build). They cost less than $70 in materials to install and work very reliability. Mine is 10 years old and has been zero problems.

hi level overflow drain in the tile band area keeps you from having to go out in a rainstorm and manually drain your pool to prevent overflow. Be aware in some jurisdictions, water must be drained to the sanitary sewer which can be problematic for some installs. The cost is minimal ($10 fitting + cost of tying into an existing drain).

However, these two features make for a a very low maintenance pool and are worth their weight in gold.

Dont forget to add an auto pool water level filler and overflow drain to the shell. Many times the builders will tell their clients to not install them but it is a PITA manually adding water each day in the summer without one. (I suspect most builders have them in their own pools and steer people off them because a licensed plumber must be used to connect to the water supply adding hassle to the build). They cost less than $70 in materials to install and work very reliability. Mine is 10 years old and has been zero problems.

hi level overflow drain in the tile band area keeps you from having to go out in a rainstorm and manually drain your pool to prevent overflow. Be aware in some jurisdictions, water must be drained to the sanitary sewer which can be problematic for some installs. The cost is minimal ($10 fitting + cost of tying into an existing drain).

However, these two features make for a a very low maintenance pool and are worth their weight in gold.

Rossterman, I inquired about an auto fill and was told that Ft. Worth requires the fill line to be above the coping. I don't have any raised features planned so this is not an option. The other alternative was to have a licensed plumber install a backflow valve to the homes main water line and then I would need to have it inspected by the city. Quoted $1000 for the project.
I'm wondering if this could be installed and ran from an irrigation zone since it has already been setup with a backflow valve. I could just leave the zone primed a long run time and when the float calls for water it will be ready to deliver. If it misses the cycle it will hit it the next day.

Did not think of the overflow drain. I'll have to inquire.

Im not familiar with regulations in your area but it would be worth talking to a licensed plumber who is knowledgable of pool installs to understand what is possible. Mine is actually tied into the irrigation supply line and has a backflow preventor installed. I've never seen an autofill that discharges above the coping (other than the add on the add on types that you hook to a garden hose) but maybe they exist. Might be a good idea as to placing a separate post for TFP members to see that live in your area and see if they have more insight. Titled something like "does anyone in ft. Worth have built-in autofill on their pool? And see whet others have done.

As to plumber, if it is in place and piped to the source and plumber just has to make the final connection and install the BFP, you should be able to get it done for $100. If they have to install the box, run the lines, etc, than $1000 isnt too far off the mark. If they want $1000 to come out and do a 10 minute job, find another plumber. The pool builder put mine in and ran the lines for $200 total (including the box/float valve).

I strongly agree with the comments above about opting for a robot for general pool cleaning. With that said, I would still plumb a dedicated line to be used for either a pressure or suction cleaner/manual vacuum. This line could easily be switched with some minor plumbing changes from pressure to suction (and vise versa).

I am not partial to pressure cleaners in any way. They are the most inefficient of the bunch and most of the time require a booster pump to function correctly. I'd steer you towards a suction cleaner if robots are out of the question. Use the second pump to run your water features independently.

An auto filler is worth every penny. Stetson makes the best version which has an overflow drain that is built into the unit and is not effected by water surges and splashing. A backflow preventer is required to matter where you live but it does not need to serve the entire residence, just the line feeding the auto filler. I've seen several times exorbitant prices for auto fillers in Texas and I don't understand why.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.