SWG problems?

May 28, 2016
Kitchener/Ontario
I have a steel frame pool which holds just under 5200 gallons. When I set the pool up I added 176 lbs (4 bags of pool salt) which was a bit under the 190lbs that the manual recommend. Everything has been great for 3 weeks then the other day the salt level light was flickering between low and Ok. The manual recommended to add 35lbs of salt for my size pool if the low light came on. I add the the salt and everything was fine however two days later the salt is reading low again. I have not added any water since filling the pool on June 1st. Is something else going on here? Could a dirty cell in the SWG cause a low reading as we have hard water from the city? I was under the impression that once the salt level was good at startup that I shouldn't have to add anymore? The SWG is a Bestway Flowclear Model 58215.

I think you have enough salt. I looked up your manual, which has a cleaning procedure. Follow that procedure, but when you dump the vinegar out, look to see if any white flakes come out. That would tell us that it's scaling on the cell. Balancing your water can reduce and potentially eliminate the scaling, but that would require a reliable test kit which are a bit expensive in Canada. Regular cleaning might be the easiest approach, if we see the white flakes.

There's a procedure here that could work OK. Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

You'll get the best possible results by getting your own drop-based test kit and balancing your water. It works out the cheapest in the long run as well, and results in sparkling safe water. A full test kit allows you keep the water in the pool and balance your pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness to reduce or eliminate scaling.

I have pulled the cell apart and it is scaled up. It is currently soaking in white vinegar. Overall my numbers seem ok but I will have to look into a reliable test kit. Other than the hardness the only number that seems near the edge is Ph which floats about 7.7-7.8. Muratic acid does not seem to take it down as much as it should. Thanks for the input.

Ok I have reassembled the SWG cell. Now the system reads High Salt. I guess I will have to figure out how much water I have to drain to bring my salt back down. I now have 211lbs of salt in pool and will have to go back to 190lbs (which the manual states) or 176lbs that I had in originally. 211lbs salt/ 5100gallons to 190lbs salt/x gallons would be 4562 gallons. So I am guessing I have to drop about 600 gallons. Does that sound right? Average depth is 41" so 211lbs of salt/41" is about 5.15 lbs of salt per inch. So 5.15lbs salt/inch would mean I drain about 5 inches of water for 25.75lbs salt reduction for about 185lbs left. Does that sound right?

I'm heading out today but when I was looking at your situation yesterday, the amount of salt seemed a bit high. You can use Pool Math (link at top of page) for the salt calculations. Enter your pool volume at the top of Pool Math, then scroll down to "Effect of Adding Chemicals". Enter the pounds of salt, and it will tell you the PPM. Your method with inches sounds perfectly good to me! And glad to hear the SWG is responding to your efforts :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.