Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Testing in the Sun

1. Back To Top    #1

Seacoast, NH

CYA Testing in the Sun

When I do the CYA test, back to the sun, sun over my shoulder, should the sun be shining through the side of the tube or should it be in the shade? I get 5-10 ppm lower if I hold it in the shade.
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: CYA Testing in the Sun

In the shade, back to the sun. Here are some reference pics,
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

It should be held waist high in the shadow cast by your body. You fingers should pinch the top of the tube to hold it but do so with the least amount of the tube occluded by your fingers. Basically you want bright, indirect light shining into the tube. This produces the best result with minimal reflections.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4
    Northern IL

Nice explanation, JFN. I would emphasize the shadow cast by your "body". My neighbor didn't hold it correctly and kept seeing the shadow of her "head" and thought it was the dot.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.