New Member Need Some Help

I am so glad I found this website. We built our pool 5 years ago. Our pool builder went our of business and wasn't much help with "pool school." I'm looking forward to breaking away from the local pool store and spending $50 on a jug of this and that. My water is clear but I've been having a problem with algae growing. I use the 3" chlorine tabs from Leslie's, as you can tell by the CYA level. I've received my TF-100 test kit and have the following results.

FC 5.5
CC.5
TC 6
CH 575 PPM
TA 140
CYA 70
PH 7.5

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Dave:wave:

A couple of things that you might want to consider- your CYA is a little high for a non-SWG pool-good thing that you have pulled the tabs. You can manage with a CYA of 70 but you must target your FC at around 8 and do not let it drop below the minimum. See the Chlorine/CYA chart

You will want to manage your CSI and keep it down with high CH levels. You can reduce your TA by following this procedure - perhaps target 60-70.

It's up to you- with splash out from swimming and perhaps some backwashing it will come down. The big issue will be if you get algae in the pool and have to hit it with higher amounts of chlorine. Ideally it should be lower but it's not completely ridiculous either.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try the swimming and splashing out and replace water as needed. I have to pick up some acid on the way home today. I have the waterfall and bubblers running to aerate the water to bring down the TA. Keeping the CL at 8 ppm OK to swim in?

Yep good to swim in if your FC is in the appropriate range for whatever your CYA level is- obviously high for you. The CYA buffers the harshness of the chlorine. In fact it is safe to swim in your pool up to the shock level for your CYA which is often a question we get asked by posters when they are conducting a SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.