Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS/DPD drops

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS/DPD drops

This is probably going to seem like a funny question, but when I use the R-0871 drops for FC test, it seems sometimes when inverting bottle, the drops will start on there own, and other times I have to squeeze the bottle to start. This definitely affects the test as far as I can tell, as the drops seem smaller without squeezing the bottle. Am I missing something?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS/DPD drops

Have you just recently gotten a new supply of the drops?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

No this is not a new batch, probably half a bottle used already.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Mark

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Holding the bottle vertically, you allow the drops to "fall" off the tip. You should apply enough pressure on the bottle for the drop to start forming on the tip but not enough to force the drop off.

And, yes, often a drop will come out the instant you start to invert.

I hold the bottle inverted and make sure the drops will form correctly on the tip before I start my count. Like many things, practice is the best teacher
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

WHat I do is squeeze the bottle to let some air out and hold it that way as I invert it. Once inverted, I lessen my grip some, this way there is suction keeping gravity from making the drops come out. I feel like this method gives me maximum control over the drops, and eliminates that one errant drop that tends to come out when inverting the bottle.
    30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you!
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

The same thing happens to me. I choose to waste the first few drops (3 or 4) off to the side as I have no control over them when I first invert the bottle. Once those first 3 or 4 pour out on their own I will move over to the tube and start my controlled drips.

Coincidentally this was recently discussed in another thread where I posted a video doing some Cl tests. Video was addressing issues with the DPD test, not the FAS/DPD test. But another member noticed me "wasting" the drops and offered the same suggestion as tommyd123 just did.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

9. Back To Top    #9

Very good info, I do appreciate it!!!
    Mark