Moved in a month ago, want to do things right this time.

May 1, 2016
Flower mound, tx
Howdy!
First out of the gate say I swore I'd never have a pool after the one my parents had and I was responsible for trying to maintain. It was the pool from Hades (if anyone cares, I'll do a follow up post about that devil of a pool), but I have come around and bought a house with a pool in Texas. The previous owner appears to have bought high end stuff, but I'm trying to figure out how to maintain a pool properly. For the first month we had a "free" pool service as a hold over from the previous owners. They are both expensive and annoyed me by not following the directions I gave them after reading through this sites pool school.

Here were my starting stats on the first day, 5/27:
FC = 8
TC = 8
CYA = 120
pH = 7.2
Calcium Hardness = 500
TotAlk = 90

I asked the pool guy to cut out whatever he was using to stabilize the pool, told him I wanted CYA around 50. He told me that is unacceptable unless "you have a saltwater pool". So he finished his last free week last week and I didn't continue his services.
Cut to last monday and we had a massive downpour that overwhelmed our drains and washed a lot of dirt into my pool. I added alum and vac'd to waste the next day and had it back to looking like nothing happened in 48 hours. That dumping to waste also helped me fix my CYA and CH levels. Today's stats:

FC = 2
TC = 2
CYA = 45
pH = 7.5
Calcium Hardness = 250

I know I need to get the FC up, is the best way to use strong bleach? I have some round tablets, but read that will make my CYA issue bad again. Right now the pool is clear. I have fought with what the pool guy called "stains" but that I could brush off with a wire brush. It doesn't feel like algae but could be, it has a slight greenish color to it. It's been showing up on shallow steps since I bought the house.

Lastly are the massive calcium deposits on the tile by the spa (that is my pool as my avy). I haven't tested to see if it is carbonate or silicate, guess I need to get some muriatic acid. The pool guy offered to "dump some acid on those" to clear em up "but that might destroy your tile". Seriously, that company needs to stop using that pool guy. I plan on taking a pumice stone to them. I'll snap some pictures next time I'm outside in the sun. They are pretty thick and look like my pool is growing stalactites.

Anyways, wanted to say hello and put down my stats and see if anything looks or sounds out of the ordinary. Added what I think are the relevant stats to my sig, let me know if I should add anything else. Thanks!

Howdy everyone, spending some serious time in the pool this weekend and noticed something strange and need advice. First up I noticed that one of my skimmers wasn't pulling water. In the bottom is a skimmer/main drain diverter (the kind with the little floaty inside it and looks like an alien spaceship). That was shutting down and keeping that skimmer from pulling. So I took it out and it was skimming the crepe myrtle flowers (thanks previous owner) from the top...all is well. While swimming I noticed thousands of tiny air bubbles coming out of the far return line. I have three returns plus a pressure side outlet. None of the others were returning air. I put my hand in front to divert the water up and couldn't see any cloudiness or dirt, and I've had a pool before with a broken return that dumped dirt into the pool at a record pace.

So I have replaced the skimmer/main drain diverter to see if there is any correlation between the two. On Friday I had opened the pump skimmer and emptied it, so I also just took the lid off of it and cleaned and siliconed the o-ring on it really well then made sure it was tightened down. Earlier in the week I had noticed that there was zero air in the pump skimmer, I have never actually seen that before. Now with the diverter out there is a lot of air in there, but it still holds a good prime.

Can anyone tell me what purpose the diverter has? Is it supposed to shut off that skimmer? I don't see the point of that other than to let the main drain have suction. Do I have to install it a certain way to make sure it works correctly?
Second, thoughts on the bubbles? Only coming out of one return, but seems if there was a leak on just that return line I would see dirt or water would be pushing out of that line. I don't have any soggy spots on the ground, luckily that is the one return that isn't under the deck.

Thanks in advance.

Quick addition: After I wrote this I did some searching. My diverter float has a crack in it and is filled with water. SO I'll be buying a new one of those.

As for the air leak, I have poked around on it a bit more. When I pull just from the spa, no bubbles. When I pull from either skimmer, then I get air bubbles. So I am hoping that I didn't spring air leaks in both of my skimmers in the last two days. Hoping it is just somewhere in my valves. Problem is that it looks like I have to replace a diverter valve as well as an automatic diverter. I'll post a photo of my valve system, in case that gives anyone an idea about a known "common" issue that might be a quick fix.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

This is is my valve setup. The one on the right closes each skimmer manually. The one on the left is wired to switch from pulling pool or spa.

Quick update, went out this evening after the pool had been off for about 2 hours. I had no drain down like air was coming into the system. Turned on the system and wasn't pulling any air or blowing any bubbles.

The only thing different today than yesterday was 1) no major rain storm overnight last night like there was Sunday night, 2) I didn't run the pool heater for 2 hours like I did yesterday, and 3) we didn't have 4 adults and 3 kids splashing in the pool. OTherwise, exactly the same but no air today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.