Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Final stages of clearing my pool just can not get it clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Final stages of clearing my pool just can not get it clear

So I'm a new pool owner with the house I purchased about 2 years ago. I did not open the pool last year and let it sit covered and am now opening it. I'm in the final stages of clearing the water out. It's an 18ft above ground. Leslie's pool supply keeps selling me all these chemicals and nothing is working. I scrub it almost every day and still can't see the bottom. However the water is clear.
    Fc 5
    Ch 250
    Ta 110
    Ph 7.0 ( should be fixed just added chem)
    Pho 100

Please help thank you to anyone who can

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Final stages of clearing my pool just can not get it clear

I'm not an expert but I can tell you this is the right place to get the correct advice for crystal clear water in your pool. First things first, please read the "Pool School" section of the this website. The "Getting Started" section will describe how to insert a signature panel in your posts with all the data about your pool. Additionally, you MUST read the "ABC's of Pool Chemistry".

I'm a bit confused because you state that "...still can't seem the bottom. However the water is clear." Those two statements don't make sense. If you cannot see the bottom, than the water IS NOT clear.

First things first, buy a good test kit and stop going to the pool store! The TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 kits are the ONLY recommended test kits. (I highly recommend the TF-100 as they guarantee fresh chemicals. Here's the website TFTestkits.net)

There will be other experts chiming in soon. Hang in there!
    19,500 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot (aka "Robbie"), Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Without valid test results it is difficult to say why your pool is not clear. We do not trust pool store testing as it is generally poor on a good day. Generally icloudy water is because of organic growth in the water, but there can be other causes.

Tucsontico,has already explained about the recomended test kits. I will leave you with a little reading:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

SLAM
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for responding. And i will look into that kit to see if I can get it local to speed up the process before I order it. And to clear up the confusion on what I meant. I can't see the bottom but the water is not algae green it's come along way from that and when the water is in the strainer it's clear from what I see.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It is not going to be available in local stores.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart