Plumbing/ Flow/ Drain Drawing

May 23, 2009
I'm going to attempt to attach a drawing of our pool plumbing. I have a few questions that I put in the drawing that I am CONFIDENT you guys could help me with.

I've been lerking around this site for quite some time, and have always been able to find the answers, I really appreciate all the information everyone shares. THANK YOU!

Sorry about that.

Please check out my drawing and let the advice flow. lol

Thanks in advance for the help!
Deke
Santa Fe, Texas

l_4d76961faa89456899d0d773133be18d.jpg

A) The hose bib can be used to drain the pool (slowly)
B) Maybe, if the diagram is correct, there is only one suction side pipe so no way to control main drain vs skimmer from the equipment pad. However, if the main drain line appears in one of the skimmers, there is a fitting for the skimmer that lets you adjust the relative flow from the skimmer and the drain.
C) That most likely goes to a dedicated pressure side cleaner outlet.
D) That valve can be used to control how much water goes to the pressure side cleaner. You would either turn off the cleaner line, or adjust the valve to get the pressure that the cleaner requires.

Jason,
Thanks for the quick reply!

A) The hose bib can be used to drain the pool (slowly)
-That makes sense- thanks!

B) Maybe, if the diagram is correct, there is only one suction side pipe so no way to control main drain vs skimmer from the equipment pad. However, if the main drain line appears in one of the skimmers, there is a fitting for the skimmer that lets you adjust the relative flow from the skimmer and the drain.
-The diagram is not from the previous owners, I drew it the other day and I am confident that it is correct. You spoke of the main drain line appearing in the skimmer- From what I can see, there are two ports under the skimmer basket (the pool has only one skimmer). One port has a tremendous amount of suction, and the other has none. What should I look for to locate the fitting you mentioned? If I am following you correctly- it's purpose is to balance the suction draw between the skimmer and bottom drains?

C) That most likely goes to a dedicated pressure side cleaner outlet.
-WOW, I have a couple thousand questions about this. The first few that jump to mind are;
1. Is this a seperate piece of equipment that ties into the existing pump/filtration system?
2. Does the "pressure side cleaner outlet" look like the rest of the jets in the pool?

D) That valve can be used to control how much water goes to the pressure side cleaner. You would either turn off the cleaner line, or adjust the valve to get the pressure that the cleaner requires.
-I'm going to go search to see what I can learn about a "Pressure Side Cleaner", because I have no idea. Any reccomendations on where to start?

Man, I can't say thank you enough. I am a rookie when it comes to pools.

I plan on ordering a SWIMPURE PLUS right after we get this plumbing straight in my little mind. I would appreciate any input on that as well.

I look forward to your response, and any others that would like to jump in.

Regards,
Deke
Santa Fe, Texas

dekebell said:
Jason,
Thanks for the quick reply!

-The diagram is not from the previous owners, I drew it the other day and I am confident that it is correct. You spoke of the main drain line appearing in the skimmer- From what I can see, there are two ports under the skimmer basket (the pool has only one skimmer). One port has a tremendous amount of suction, and the other has none. What should I look for to locate the fitting you mentioned? If I am following you correctly- it's purpose is to balance the suction draw between the skimmer and bottom drains?

Ok the one with nothing most likely goes to your floor drain. If you look at the bottom of your skimmer basket there should be a section that when positioned correctly will connect the 2 together when you twist the skimmer. It is kind of boxed off and you put the box so that is sits on top of both holes. Thereby tying the 2 together.

let me know if that works.

Mike

If your skimmer does not have the part mdhwoods is talking about, you can purchase it. You need to get one that matches the specific model of skimmer you have.

The pressure side cleaner outlet could look just like any other return. Normally there is a quick disconnect fitting to attach the cleaner hose to, but that can be removed and a standard return jet installed, so it can look the same. You can find out by turning that line off and seeing if any of your returns stop working.

The kind of cleaner you would want, if you want to pursue this, is a pressure side cleaner that does not require a booster pump. There are several different ones suggested in this topic.

Jason, mdhwoods,
Many thanks to both of you!

I'm on nights now, but I will get on the "joiner" piece that sits in the strainer base in the morning. I believe I saw this on the wall at Leslies the other day, but I had no idea what it was for. I am looking forward to getting the drains in the game.

As far as the pool cleaners; once again Jason- many thanks!
I'm going to hop over to the thread you linked, so I don't corrupt this one to bad with my ignorance on pool cleaners! lol
I do ask that you guys check-up on me over there, and "get my mind right" if I begin to stray.

This forum has been fantastic! I now work for a refinery in Texas City as an operator, but up until 3 years ago I was a Master Technician for General Motors. I hope I get the opportunity to return some free advice/suggestions in the future!

Thanks again!

Regards,
Deke
Santa Fe, Texas

I now work for a refinery in Texas City as an operator

Deke,
You're a better man than I.

I grew up around industry and instrumentation, and having gone through multiple company closings, and being currently out of work, I can appreciate having a job. But I have lived in Houston, and those refineries scare the heck outta me.

Two things...
1) watch your blow-down pressure, and
2) always sit on the other side of the table from the storage tanks.

I really hope the blow-down units are gone.

Resistance (Ohm-boy),
You're not the only one who is scared of this $#!t! lol

Two things...
1) watch your blow-down pressure, and
2) always sit on the other side of the table from the storage tanks.

I really hope the blow-down units are gone.
[quote:2jghsxdj]I now work for a refinery in Texas City as an operator
[/quote:2jghsxdj]

I of course can't speak for the other refineries in the area, but the one I work for has come a LONG way when it comes to blow-down systems. The Company has removed ALL the blow-down stacks and has developed a consistently operative flare system (much safer!). Kind of helps soothe the tingles that run down your spine when the proverbial $#!t! hits the fan!

Talk to ya soon,
Deke

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.