Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for a deep clean of the filter

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Time for a deep clean of the filter

After a brief SLAM upon opening and tons of pollen, I was needing to backwash frequently. I didn't do a deep clean last year, as we only had the pool up 2 1/2 months last season because we upgraded.
    I'm guessing the fibrous stuff I found was the pollen. I had it in the pool and vacuumed some up a couple of times. (It was spongy and not slimy when it would clump together on the floor of the pool. I could get some of it with my leaf net.) I had quite a bit I scooped out of the filter from the top of the sand with my hand. If you are unsure about doing a deep clean, don't be afraid, it was quite easy. Just don't be aggressive with the hose! Here are a few pics:
    Before we put the hose in:

First bit with the hose: (yuck!)

I could tell the difference in the water force coming out of the return immediately. I back washed and rinsed, expected a little gunk to come out of the return when I first turned it on, but it was nice and clean.
    Here's a link to the deep clean tutorial:
    Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: DmTime for a deep clean of the filter

Here's a picture of the stuff I scooped out by hand.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!