How should I be vacuuming to waste? Urgent request

May 30, 2015
Huger, SC
I have dead algae in the bottom of my pool that I want to vacuum to waste and I just used a flock. Everything worked and the junk is at the bottom of the pool. I set my multi port valve to waste, hook up my hose and vacuum as normal. I notice that water is going out the waste line as it should, but it also goes through the return back into the pool. I only have 1 return and the junk is getting back into the pool because of this. I marked this as urgent as I need to vacuum fully before the flock stops working.

i have a ball valve on the hose going to the return and I tried closing it so no water would go through. The water then started to seep through the plastic site just before the waste port.

what are the exact steps I should be doing in this situation?

thanks ahead of time!

There is a problem with your mulitiport valve if it is letting water into the return path when it is set to waste. You probably have a bad spider gasket. For an immediate solution try vacuuming to waste by siphon method. Here are the instructions:
madwil said:
when I had a Intex, I used a standard vacuum head and hose, and set a syphon over the side instead of using the pump at all- as long as you don't mind watering the grass, and replacing water (same as vacuum to waste!)
fill hose with water- start at one end, attach to vacuum to weight/hold underwater.
push hose underwater along the length, so it fills entirely
when you reach the other end, water should bubble out of it
Hold both ends under water
grab the middle of the hose, throw it over the side so a loop is hanging lower than the water level in the pool
work back the length of the hose away from the vacuum head
throw the end on the ground where you want the water to drain
start to vacuum!
when done, lift vacuum out of water to break suction, and drain to other end so gunk doesn't come back into pool

There is a problem with your mulitiport valve if it is letting water into the return path when it is set to waste. You probably have a bad spider gasket. For an immediate solution try vacuuming to waste by siphon method. Here are the instructions:

I just bought a brand new head for my sand filter via Hayward. So is this defective then?

when I vacuum to waste there should be no water going back through the return?

ill try the siphon method as well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.