Hello brand new pool owner here inheriting 20 yr old pool.
4 days after owning, noticed yellow /brown fuzz growing on underwater surfaces.
Water began to turn from turquoise to greenish. Had a pool guy out to look at and he reccomended shocking it. In went 12lbs. Shock. Pump was on and off for 2 days and water was totally milky white, likely from dead algae.
So, algaecide, a clarifier, and 3 more lbs of shock were reccomended. At pool store we were sold liquid (blue) algaecide, pool life water clearer, and liquid chlorine instead of granular. Added 5 chlorine tabs to floaty thing in pool. Poured in whole bottle of algeacide (as verbally instructed), quarter bottle of clarifier and 26 more ounces of liquid Chlorine. Running filter/pump as much as possible. Have backwashed twice in last 2 days, it has been 3 since adding all chemicals.
Tried to test yesterday using kit and chlorine read "red/orange" kit said do not perform other tests if chlorine is higher than 5, from what I read it is between 15-30.
Today I can see top step in milky blue water but Cl. test reads bright orange. Have owned this pool for almost 2 weeks now and haven't been able to use once! It was crystal clear when we bought it plus its 120 degrees here in AZ, Help!