Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner...Pool Filling...What now?? (lots of pics of pool and set up)!!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liner...Pool Filling...What now?? (lots of pics of pool and set up)!!

Hi guys,

First time pool owner and finally got my new liner. Water is being filled now. Filling about half way then they are coming back to cut out the jets, light, skimmer and stairs.

My question is very basic, and probably stupid.

But once the pool is full..what do I do?

I have pics of the set up below, but what "settings" should I have stuff on? Is my filter on "filter" mode or something else? Do I just turn on the pump and voila or do I need to do something else? What about the main drain and skimmer valves?

Can someone please just post a quick step by step. As for chlorine and CYA, I have enough to bring it to 20 CYA and 3 FC while I wait a week for the heater and salt water system. If I do not add the chlorine in 24-48 hours, will my pool turn green?

Here are some pics! Thanks!!

16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Liner...Pool Filling...What now?? (lots of pics of pool and set up)!!

It won't in 24 but it might in 48. And it will take 48 hours for the salt to dissolve and mix before you turn on the SWG.

Add 30 ppm of CYA and keep FC at target, FC/CYA Chart, until the SWG is ready.
    Here is how to add CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Before you turn on the SWG you need to raise CYA to 70 ppm.

Here is what you need for water balance
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

anyone else? How do I get the pool running?
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by crocop View Post
    anyone else? How do I get the pool running?

Are you asking about the equipment part of it? If not, the links above cover all the basics of the chemistry end.

Two more: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Getting Started
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Are you asking about the equipment part of it? If not, the links above cover all the basics of the chemistry end.

Two more: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Getting Started
    Hi, yes, the equipment part of it. Where do I place all the valves (for filter and pump), and then do I just turn the pump on?

6. Back To Top    #6

I like to have my valves set to 80% skimmer and 20% drain for better skimmer action. The way they are now is fine for now, you can experiment with that later. Yes, just turn on the pump, it will prime for a few minutes and start pumping water. Yes, the filter should be in filter mode.

More here on operating your filter, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Do I see a heater that used to be plumbed in? Either way I'd recommend a solar blanket and reel if you don't have one.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    Do I see a heater that used to be plumbed in? Either way I'd recommend a solar blanket and reel if you don't have one.
    Hi yes,
    That heater is like 20 years old.

I have a new one that will be installed next week. I also bought a solar blanket, but no reel yet (but man are they ever expensive in Canada).

9. Back To Top    #9

The heater will be helpful in your location for startup and extending the season.

As for reels some people make their own. I just fold my cover accordion style on the deck and call it good.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

10. Back To Top    #10

To understand your equipment, think about how the water will flow through it. When you turn on the pump, there will be no water flowing until the pump primes (get water in the impeller). Make sure there is water in the pump strainer basket before turning on the pump to help it prime. This will get sucked dry, but soon the water should fill in from the pool in the suction pipes.

So here is the water flow:
    1-Water comes in the main drains and the skimmers (through the valves)
    2-Into the pump strainer basket
    3-Into the pump
    4-Into the filter multiport valve (at this point, it goes to the selected port) NOTE:ALWAYS TURN THE MULTIPORT IN THE SAME DIRECTION (choose clockwise or anticlockwise and stick with it)
    ---4a-Into the filter - THIS IS THE NORMAL OPERATION SETTING (next step is 5)
    ---4b-Out to waste
    ---4c-backwash through filter and out to waste
    ---4d-recirculate by skipping the filter and back out to the pool
    ---4e-rinse (used to stabilize the sand in the filter)
    5-into heater
    6-back to the pool (the fittings in the pool are called the pool returns)

If you have not used the equipment in a while, you should backwash the filter to clean out the crud. Then note the pressure on a clean filter. You will keep an eye on the pressure and backwash when the pressure rises 20%.

Add chlorine asap and add CYA soon. You don't need to have the main drain open at all, but some main drain helps to circulate the water better. The skimmers operate best with the water half way to 3/4 way up the intake. If the water goes below 1/4, you can start to suck air in the skimmer (not good for your pump).

Test your pH soon and adjust it with pool school calculations.

Lastly and importantly, only add chemicals that you completely understand (see pool school). The pool $tore is your nemesis. They exist by extracting money from YOUR wallet. Be smart and teach yourself how to care for your own pool.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post
    To understand your equipment, think about how the water will flow through it. When you turn on the pump, there will be no water flowing until the pump primes (get water in the impeller). Make sure there is water in the pump strainer basket before turning on the pump to help it prime. This will get sucked dry, but soon the water should fill in from the pool in the suction pipes.

So here is the water flow:
    1-Water comes in the main drains and the skimmers (through the valves)
    2-Into the pump strainer basket
    3-Into the pump
    4-Into the filter multiport valve (at this point, it goes to the selected port) NOTE:ALWAYS TURN THE MULTIPORT IN THE SAME DIRECTION (choose clockwise or anticlockwise and stick with it)
    ---4a-Into the filter - THIS IS THE NORMAL OPERATION SETTING (next step is 5)
    ---4b-Out to waste
    ---4c-backwash through filter and out to waste
    ---4d-recirculate by skipping the filter and back out to the pool
    ---4e-rinse (used to stabilize the sand in the filter)
    5-into heater
    6-back to the pool (the fittings in the pool are called the pool returns)

If you have not used the equipment in a while, you should backwash the filter to clean out the crud. Then note the pressure on a clean filter. You will keep an eye on the pressure and backwash when the pressure rises 20%.

Add chlorine asap and add CYA soon. You don't need to have the main drain open at all, but some main drain helps to circulate the water better. The skimmers operate best with the water half way to 3/4 way up the intake. If the water goes below 1/4, you can start to suck air in the skimmer (not good for your pump).

Test your pH soon and adjust it with pool school calculations.

Lastly and importantly, only add chemicals that you completely understand (see pool school). The pool $tore is your nemesis. They exist by extracting money from YOUR wallet. Be smart and teach yourself how to care for your own pool.
    This is great, thank you.

how do I backwash? Where does the water go? How long does it take?

12. Back To Top    #12

See post #6 above there is a link to an article in Pool School that discusses how to backwash.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

BTW, in one of your pictures, there is a round filter basket. This probably goes somewhere. If it's not made for the pump, then it probably goes into your skimmer. Your skimmer baskets should be checked daily for debris, pool toys and animals (frogs, mice chipmunks). Check your filter basket at least weekly.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post
    BTW, in one of your pictures, there is a round filter basket. This probably goes somewhere. If it's not made for the pump, then it probably goes into your skimmer. Your skimmer baskets should be checked daily for debris, pool toys and animals (frogs, mice chipmunks). Check your filter basket at least weekly.

good eye. I think it must be for the skimmer. thanks.