Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question test for salt on an existing pool

1. Back To Top    #1

question test for salt on an existing pool

Pool is just about 3 years old and I am switching to salt. Ordered the Tayor test and got 2600ppm! Haven't added any salt yet. Is this a normal amount for three years of almost exclusively bleach chlorination?

Looks like I won't have to add much
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question test for salt on an existing pool

Seems a little high, but possible.

What's the salt level in your fill water?

How long is your pool open and how much bleach would you estimate you have added total?

3. Back To Top    #3

good idea! I will test the fill water. open? hmmm mid-March through October more or less (for three years). amount of bleach? rough guess at least 100 gallons? right now I am blowing through a gallon every couple days - it has been so freaking hot - I am adding twice a day.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

100 gallons of 8.25 % sodium hypochlorite will add about 2182 ppm salt in a 6,400 gallon pool. Evaporation and refill will also add salt. 2,600 ppm is definitely possible.

5. Back To Top    #5

ok thanks! that must be it. tested the fill source and got 200 or less - it changed on the first drop.

and most of those 100 gallons were 10% so there is that too.

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess that might explain why the "back wash bush" seems to be struggling. I guess I better flush the poor thing with some fresh water!
    Last edited by Pv2; 06-22-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: e