Pentair vs Hayward?

Jun 20, 2016
Venice, FL
Hi Everyone,
I have been poking around the forum the last month or so, and there is a LOT of info!! I am a complete newbie and at the end stage of deciding on a PB for our inground pool. We've narrowed it down to two:
One PB uses all Pentair
One PB uses all Hayward

I've seen a posts discussing the heater or pump, but haven't seen one discussing: If you could pick one entire line, which would you choose?

Our pool will be 12 x 26, 3-6 feet, freeform, SWG, with a heater.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pentair vs Haywood?

They are equivalent. Like asking Chevy vs Ford, Nikon vs Canon. Both are reliable manufacturers of pool equipment. What is more important is the other aspects of the build quote. Plumbing, equipment pad, coping, decking, design. It would be helpful if you could list an itemized quote to better assist you.

My builder almost always uses Hayward but I went all Pentair because Pentair had a water feature I wanted that was not available through Hayward, so I went all Pentair. It is important to keep all equipment within the same manufacturer if you want automation because automation is proprietary.

NNeither is itemized.

Quote#1
Construct a 12’ x 26’6” reinforced concrete swimming pool as per drawing. The proposal includes all permitting, inspections, taxes and has the following features:
White Satin interior finish by Pebble Technology (Lifetime warranty)
Pentair Superflo 2 speed pump
Pentair Clean/Clear cartridge filter
2 Pentair Globrite LED white lights
Pentair Intellichlor IC 40 (salt) chlorinator
3 year warranty on all Pentair equipment
Aqua Cal SQ 125 energy efficient heat pump
3 steps in shallow end of pool
Swim out in deep portion of pool
Over flow line
Battery alarms on doors and windows per code
Standard brick coping on perimeter of pool
One pallet of replacement sod (additional sod if needed by owner)
Standard selection of waterline tile and step tile (chosen by owner)
681 square feet of concrete and flocrete for pool area
259 square feet of pool surface area
96 linear feet of poured concrete footing for pool cage
All maintenance equipment and test kit
30 day start up and pool school by a certified technician
Relocation of any landscaping and sprinklers by owner

Price: $34,680.00

From what I have seen, I would give a slight build quality edge to Pentair, but would also tend to say Pentair costs more on average. There is nothing wrong with either one though, although I feel Pentair probably has the better automation system, and Hayward has probably the most popular SWG product line on this forum.

Quote #2:

ALL PERMITTING AND ENGINERING FEES
FREEFORM 12 X 24 PER PRINT / GUNITE WITH A 6” BEAM / DIG & HAUL ALL DIRT
3 TO 6 FT DEEP / 3 STEPS/ 1- 5 FT SWIMOUT IN DEEP END
3 COLORED RETURNS/ 1 AUTO OVERFLOW INCLUDED / 1 HAYWARD SKIMMER / 2 COLORED MAINDRAINS
1 HAYWARD LED UNIVERSAL COLORLOGIC POOL LIGHT / 3 – 6” MOSIAC TURTLES
PEBBLE TEC (3 STANDARD COLORS TO CHOOSE FROM)
STANDARD 6 X 6 WATERLINE TILE / HAYWARD SUPER II ¾ HP PUMP / C1200 FILTER
AQUAPLUS TIMER SYSTEM WITH A 40 K SALT CELL / 37.6’ OF DECO DRAIN
CONCRETE 4” DECK, UP TO 563 SQ FT / 726 SQ FT OF SPRAYCRETE POUROVER DECK WITH CHOICE OF 8
PAINT COLORS / 12 x 8 FOOTER AROUND PERIMETER / TERMITE SPRAY PER CODE
EQUIPMENT PAD SIZE AS NEEDED / HAYWARD HP21104T HEATPUMP / 1 BOTTLE OF LIQUID SOLAR PER CODE
STANDARD CLEANING MAINTANCE PACKAGE / START UP WITH INSTRUCTIONS
ALL PLUMBING CONNECTIONS AND EQUIPMENT SET / TEAR OUT AND HAUL OFF 37.6' X 3' OF SIDEWALK
LICENSED ELECTRICIAN FOR ALL ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS
ALARMS ON ALL DOORS & WINDOWS LEADING TO THE POOL AREA PER CODE AS NEEDED, UP TO 5

$31,634.00

And I apologize, it's like I have a block on Hayward vs. Haywood.

Just one thing to note the Pentair quote has a 2 speed pump, the Hayward quote has a much less energy efficient 1 speed pump. I would certainly go with a 2 speed or a small variable speed pump such as the Hayward Maxflow VS ( relay controller/automation friendly version)

The quotes look very similar to me, albeit with some differences in pool equipment and design. Your pool is on the smaller size so I would maximize the pool size as much as possible. You get an extra 2.5 feet in pool length with quote 1, and while that might not seem like a lot, it does make a big difference in a pool your size. A variable speed pump is usually more ideal for a salt water system so you dial in the minimum RPM needed to generate enough chlorine efficiently, but of course adds cost up front. Bigger is better on filter so you won't have to clean it as often and the incremental increase in price going bigger is usually worth it. Not sure how much you'll use your heater in FL and I don't see a spa spec'ed out but I would definitely get one for year around pool use if you plan on it. Both salt cells are appropriately sized. I would definitely get at least 2 lights for your pool, one shallow and one deep. Way easier to wire and build lights up front vs regret and try to do it after.

Things to consider:

You have an overflow drain spec'ed out in both quotes, maybe think about an auto fill. Auto fills are love or hate, I love mine.

Be cognizant that you only have standard Pebble or Tile spec'ed out and customization will cost, some very costly, but it's nice to individualize your pool. You might fall in love with a special color or tile

maximize your decking area

have you thought about automation? If so, definitely stay within the same pool manufacturer cuz automation is proprietary

color LEDs are really cool but add significant cost

I don't see anything regarding a cleaning system, like side suction or booster, but that's fine as I think a robot is way better but more costly.

Anyway, this part is super stressful, but try to enjoy the process and look forward to your pool!

NNeither is itemized.

Quote#1
Construct a 12’ x 26’6” reinforced concrete swimming pool as per drawing. The proposal includes all permitting, inspections, taxes and has the following features:
White Satin interior finish by Pebble Technology (Lifetime warranty)
Pentair Superflo 2 speed pump
Pentair Clean/Clear cartridge filter
2 Pentair Globrite LED white lights
Pentair Intellichlor IC 40 (salt) chlorinator
3 year warranty on all Pentair equipment
Aqua Cal SQ 125 energy efficient heat pump
3 steps in shallow end of pool
Swim out in deep portion of pool
Over flow line
Battery alarms on doors and windows per code
Standard brick coping on perimeter of pool
One pallet of replacement sod (additional sod if needed by owner)
Standard selection of waterline tile and step tile (chosen by owner)
681 square feet of concrete and flocrete for pool area
259 square feet of pool surface area
96 linear feet of poured concrete footing for pool cage
All maintenance equipment and test kit
30 day start up and pool school by a certified technician
Relocation of any landscaping and sprinklers by owner

Price: $34,680.00

Wow! Up here in the frosty midwest you'd pay $30,000+ just to resurface and upgrade the decking and coping. That seems like an unbelievable price. And a lifetime warranty on the finish?? I'm flabbergasted.

Thanks so much for the advice/comments.

This is a whole new world and it is overwhelming as to where to start. I'll definitely ask about changing the speed pump (Pentair PB actually brought it up), automation and cleaning. Good point about length of pool. We were adamant about budget because we did not want to get upsold, which is probably why the lower end Hayward pump was included.

We are in FL but in the winter the water in pools does drop, and air temps can get in the 60s. And because we are acclimated to such high temps, while it might seem fine up north, here it would be too cold to swim in comfortably, if that makes sense.

The Pentair quote is a PB who has a really good reputation, has been recommended by our real estate agent. The Hayward is a mom and pop company that pointed out a number of things other, bigger companies did not, so we felt that they would have an eye on things. We had six companies come out, received four initial quotes back, (apparently we were too low budget for two of them) and have narrowed it to these two.

One additional question: the White Satin finish is included in both , and the PebbleTec upgrade is included in the Hayward quote. What is the difference between White Satin and the smaller Pebble ec finishes (pebble fina/sheen)? The particles look about the same size and as I understand it, they are all PebbleTec products.

Cannot thank you enough for the feedback.

One additional question: the White Satin finish is included in both , and the PebbleTec upgrade is included in the Hayward quote. What is the difference between White Satin and the smaller Pebble ec finishes (pebble fina/sheen)? The particles look about the same size and as I understand it, they are all PebbleTec products.

We just finished a build late last year. One thing I would recommend is going to view other pools the builders have done. Especially if they have different finishes. You may like the "bumpy" nature of pebble, but the various types of pebbles (large/small/smoothed/glass) can make a difference. Only way to know is to actually find them, view them, and walk on them if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 on having them add in an autofill. Saves constant filling of the pool every day or two durning the summer or after folks have been playing/splashing in the pool all day. As to the comment of love them vs. hate them; PBs probably are the ones that discourage them because they require a certified plumber to install (in most locals) so makes for more work. I would venture to say most PBs probably have one in their own pools though!

I've personally never met a pool owner that had anything bad to say about them. Since they use a simple float valve, they are pretty trouble free and virtually require no maintenance. I finally replaced my float valve (in 5 mins) after 10 years in service because the adjusting lever broke when i was removing it to pressure test the piping.

+1 on having them add in an autofill. Saves constant filling of the pool every day or two durning the summer or after folks have been playing/splashing in the pool all day. As to the comment of love them vs. hate them; PBs probably are the ones that discourage them because they require a certified plumber to install (in most locals) so makes for more work. I would venture to say most PBs probably have one in their own pools though!

I've personally never met a pool owner that had anything bad to say about them. Since they use a simple float valve, they are pretty trouble free and virtually require no maintenance. I finally replaced my float valve (in 5 mins) after 10 years in service because the adjusting lever broke when i was removing it to pressure test the piping.

I am sure I would like a autofill at times but it may depend on your fill water if this is desired. Mine is high in calcium. Therefore, I want ours to be filled by rain as much as possible and since it rains in FL alot in the summer, I have been letting the water line go higher when it rains and then it eventually evaporates or splashes out.

Just something to consider depending on your fill water.

Yes, one includes White Satin/three PebbleTec choices (basic blue/greens). The other includes White Satin only.

And water quality is a concern as we are on a well and the area is very high in iron. We have pricing for an option for them to fill the pool, rather than using well water to start so we can actually use it right away instead of waiting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.