ugh!! These ugly stains

Jun 20, 2016
Tulsa Ok
HI all, Long time reader 1st time poster! I have a 10,600 gallaon fiberglass pool that is about 15 years old. Last year I kind of neglected the pool and ended up with the majority of the pool having a stain ( light tea color) along most of the walls and floor. last week I followed some directions on here and added 2 lbs of ascorbic acid and it was amazing in about an hr the walls were bluer than I ever remember them. Looked great, but I think I wated too long to add the sequestrant or the local pool stores metal out was just crappy. I started bring the chlorine back up a day later and covered it up with the solar cover and went on a business trip to FL for three days came back, removed the cover and the tea colored walls are back again. Here are my readings now:

FC - 3.0
TAC 3

CH 200( this was very low and I have brought up just this past weekend)
CYA 60 ( this was around 10 and I brought up just this past weekend)
PH 7.2
TA 70
Salt 3300
phosphates 100( I added some Phos Free yesterday and will test at the pool store again tomorrow)

My question is , should I start the AA treatment again and add the sequestrant quicker? ? Does anyone recommend a diff sequestrant( if so what do you recommend)

With swg I generally recommend Jacks Magic Purple specifically, as its formulated for SWG.

In addition to adding sequestrant quickly, you also really have to control your ph coming out of an AA treatment and at the same time neutralize and leftover AA with chlorine - they'll fight each other til chlorine wins. So it can be a bit tricky to either avoid restaining or avoid algae from the chlorine not coming back up fast enough.

Before I switched to SWG, I tried a different tact, that for me, worked. Used the metal magic sponge test, then per test results, dosed accordingly. Here's the instructions: http://www.proteampoolcare.com/images/uploads/MetalMagicSpongeTest.pdf

You could try that, or alternately, do the same type of test with Jacks purple. Jacks purple will clear mild step staining, so its worth a shot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.