New guy- Pool eating up bleach

Stang Guy

Jun 20, 2016
Long Island, NY
Hi, new member here. So wife and I picked up a bestway pool for our daughter. Its 12' circle and 30" deep, says about 1400 gallons @ 80% capacity. It came with a filter kit. It's been setup for about a month now. I found this site and started following a bleach & borax method. The water is clear but it is eating up bleach. I have been using cheap test strips but I ordered a tf-100 kit yesterday and hopefully have it tues or Wed. I have been using a ph test kit from my fishtanks test kit and the ph is about 7.8. I can pour in 20oz of bleach and within a few hours or overnight it's all gone. Any idea's? Obviously i'll know more when the test kit arrives.

Ok the test kit came and I started playing around with it. So the test confirms that the pool is eating up the bleach due to no cya in it. I have some on order should be here tomorrow. I'm gonna bump the ph up with some borax. I order clorox cyanuric acid. Is it little granuals or large tablets? Pool math says to add 6.4oz by weight or 6.7oz by volume to get it to 30ppm.

FC- 0
PH- appx 6.8 (hard to tell)
TA- 100
CYA- 0

The Clorox CYA will be granules. Pour the amount you want to use in an old sock (no holes in the toes though) so that you can suspend it in the water to allow the granules to slowly dissolve into the water. Scattering on the floor of the pool can bleach/stain the pool floor.

Hang it in front of a return using a stick or something to keep it from touching the pool wall, again to avoid bleaching/staining.

Give it a squeeze every half hour or so and it wil dissolve quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Added 6oz of cya using the sock method and squeezing it every so often. Looks like it's gonna dissolve fast. I will test cya later and fc also. I got the PH up to about 7.5 and the fc was 0 as expected. Added some bleach also so ill test everything later on. I am using pool math.

Its a 12' circle bestway pool, 30" deep. Appx 1500 gallons at 80% capacity according to the paperwork it came with.

I don't know what that is or means?
The directions for the CC's test are on the laminated card that came with your TF-100.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....it describes cc's and why you test for them.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are trying to fix your pool overnight. That won't happen with the methods we teach. You will need to learn what the tests are, how to adjust the parameters and why you adjust the parameters.

How big is your pool? How long will you be gone?

Its a 12' circle bestway kid pool, 24" deep and appx 1500 gallons. Ill be away 4 days. I been doing all this work and testing I don't want it to be green when we get back home.

I thought once the cya level gets in the recommended range, the bleach would last longer and not evaporate quick. Its about 30-35ppm now. I added a 1" tab in a floater while we're gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.