Changing from Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Jun 1, 2016
Parkersburg, WV
I am in the 3rd year of using PB and there are people getting their hair turned green and some folks are saying that their hair is melting.
I want to go back to chlorine but don't want to spend a fortune doing so. I can't keep Amy alkalinity in the pool and since I like the smell of a chlorine pool I keep trichlor tabs in the skimmer.
I don't have any fancy testing kits, just the plain Jane aqua check test strips, and I go every other week to the pool store and have it tested.
I will try and get some test results up shortly but until then is there anything I can do short of dumping all the water and changing out the sand?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I went ahead and moved your post to a new thread of your own since the other was a bit dated. You're the 2nd person today to mention Pristine Blue (PB). But basically, no, the best option would be to exchange the water to remove as much metal as possible. You're seeing the hair coloring, but perhaps lucky the pool hasn't been stained yet either. You may not have to change the sand however since the residual PB may backwash out fine. You could however perform a deep cleaning as seen on the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page which may help.

In addition, I would highly recommend getting one of the recommended test kits (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C). Let us know if we can be of further assistance. Nice to have you with us.

Just seconding, the only practical way to get that copper out is water replacement, you probably don't need to change the sand, but a deep clean would be a good idea Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Of course I would also suggest this as an opportunity to get a good test kit, and take control of your water I suggest the TF-100 see my signature for link, they ship from NC so you should get it in only a couple of days regular mail.

Ike

Beauty Supply Houses will have swimmers shampoo ~ it does help.
You may be able to find it at WalMart and the like, but I have a Beauty Supply House that's closer than the big box stores and I wanted to speak with someone who I thought knew about the products and which to pick so they were my first stop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.