So salt is 2800

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
now and our FAC is 5. I turned the SWG down from 80 to 60. Just guessing here.
I did the pool calc and it says to add 359 ounces of hardner bc we are at 175. With new plaster, I am shooting for 300. If I am wrong, please LMK. There's just a range on the recommendations page.
TA is 70 and CYA is 50.

I have asked the PB what the salt s/b for our pool. No answer as of yet.

I keep my salt level at 3200-3400, which per my Compupool SWG manual is ideal. And yet the device sometimes thinks I have too much salt...it still plods along making chlorine so I don't pay it any mind. I also swear by the Taylor K-1766 salt test and not by the device itself.

Yes, you need to get that CH up otherwise the water will leech out calcium from your pool's plaster... no bueno!

Your CYA is a skosh low for Houston for a SWG pool. Check this out- [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I was going by the recommendation in my test kit and it says 60-90????
Anyway, I am about to add hardener.
I heard from PB and he said 28-32 for salt and check it again on Friday and maybe add half a bag....

Okay. I am totally confused. The hardener says it's 4lbs/1.81 kg LPM 14-420
the pool calculator says 503 ounces by weight. the container says it in PPM!

I don't get it. Hate. math. I don't want to add too much!

While in Pool Math, put your curser over the 503 ounces. Then look at the white bar next to the number of gallons in your pool. The white box will have the number of pounds to add. I suggest adding 3/4 of what it says and retest CH after 30 minutes or so.

It is best to undershoot and add calcium in steps vs doing it one step and overshooting.

Well, consider that it doesn't leave the pool unless you drain and replace water, so consider it a long term investment in your plaster.

I got the 31 pounds too when input in Pool Math your numbers. I'd add 25 pounds (the container is 25 I think?) and wait a day and retest. Easier to sneak up on it than to overshoot, right?

So the husband thinks that the white stuff on our tile is calcium and thinks that 225 is high enough. I told him that ya'll recommend 350-450 and he thinks that's too high bc of the "white stuff" also known as I guess calcium. IDK. is it? I mean, I have decided that I am going to do ALL the chemicals and not him bc he fights me on it and wants to do his thing...what do I tell him?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, consider that it doesn't leave the pool unless you drain and replace water, so consider it a long term investment in your plaster.

I got the 31 pounds too when input in Pool Math your numbers. I'd add 25 pounds (the container is 25 I think?) and wait a day and retest. Easier to sneak up on it than to overshoot, right?

Absolutely. we had to buy more - but the husband is fighting me on it. i might have to go buy more. I will investigate.

So we had a huge rainstorm today for about 45 min. Water rose to top of tile line so I drained for 50 minutes so the skimmers could work.

Tested the water
FAC 3 (down from 5)
No CC
CA 275 - darnnit!
TA 50 - darnnit again!
CYA - 48-ish (between 40 and 50)

This pool is killing me! The husband didn't buy all the CA so I need to buy more. We have put in two whole bottles of conditioner. 8lbs of CA *yes I know, need more.
Can someone help me with a plan? I mean, what to add first, how long to wait, when to run the filters bc I am OBVIOUSLY doing something wrong. Don't y'all think the chlorine drop is kind of big? pool calc is great but doesn't tell you mechanics of when/how/how long to wait, etc. HELLLLPPPPPPP.:rolleyes:

What is your PH? Do you mean calcium hardness when you say CA? If so, we usually refer to it as CH.

1. Always make sure PH is where it needs to be. If you have to adjust, retest to make sure your PH is where it needs to be.
2. Make sure FC is where is needs to be. Add liquid bleach if your SWG isn't keeping up.

TA doesn't need to be adjusted unless you find that your PH swings wildly... too early to make recommendations at this point.

Was the conditioner liquid or granular? How did you add it to the pool?

Order calcium hardness increaser and get it up soon... otherwise you will ruin your expensive pebble tech.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put in half of what was needed of the calcium - 9 lbs. I put in a WHOLE BOTTLE of liquid condition. that only raised my CYA to 60. My FAC is 4 today

So to recap: yesterday I put in 9lbs of CH, 40 lbs of salt and a whole bottle of conditioner.
TA is 80.
pH yesterday was 7.6

I guess unless I hear differently from y'll i'm going to throw the rest of the CH in tonight and not mess with anything else until Saturday...

Well, I wouldn't worry about TA unless your PH rises too quickly.

Your FC is just at target, I would increase it a little with bleach, but wait at least 30 minutes between the time that you add bleach and calcium hardness. Is your salt where it needs to be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.